Melbourne to Ballarat: Gold Trail and Sovereign Hill TourProduct ID: 27962
From US$122.90 per personBook now
Pick-up servicePick-up can be provided from hotels in Melbourne's Central Business District. In some instances, you may be picked up from a nearby hotel due to certain restrictions.
- See the Eureka Stockade at the site of the 1850s Miner Rebellion while traveling along the Western Highway from Melbourne
- Tour the town of Ballarat to see its pretty gardens and statues, and learn about its history in gold rush Australia
- Visit the open-air museum at Sovereign Hill and explore the Gold Museum and the Chinese Village
- Sample boiled sweets from the bakery before heading into the local shops on Main Street
- Learn about the mines and gold fields on a tramway tour of the mines, and see workers in original conditions
- Watch craftspeople and blacksmiths at work before seeing the Giant Crushing Battery
- Ride on a stagecoach and pan for gold for the ultimate experience of the gold rush in Victoria, Australia
Meet your tour guide at central Melbourne meeting points or opt for hotel pick-up. Travel the Western Highway, the stagecoach route of the 1850s, from Melbourne through Bacchus Marsh to Ballarat. Tour this pretty town with its exquisite gardens and then head onwards to Sovereign Hill for a day of adventure discovering into Australia's history.
Sovereign Hill is a recreation of an 1850s mining town full of shops, attractions, activities, factories, and schools. With costumed characters, live horses, and real underground mines, there is plenty to explore after your underground tramway tour of the mines.
Watch blacksmith and traditional craftspeople at work, try homemade sweets and old-fashioned treats, or visit one of the many shops on Main Street to see what wares were available in 1850s.
Treat yourself to lunch at the United States Hotel or the New York Bakery before heading to the Gold Museum and the Chinese Village to explore the miners' experiences in the gold fields. Before you say goodbye to the colorful, fun, and fast world of the 1850s, take a ride in a stagecoach and watch the Giant Crushing Battery.
- Guided tour to Sovereign Hill
- Personal expenses
- Food and drinks
This tour departs from Melbourne Day Tour Centre, Federation Square East, and the corner of Flinders and Russell Street in Melbourne. (Open in Google Maps)
Product ID: 27962