Home Cooked MaldivesProduct ID: 58874
From US$54 per personBook now
- Enjoy a traditional lunch with a local family
- Learn to cook a Maldivian meal and keep the recipe so you can impress friends back home with your culinary skills
- Go shopping at a local market selling produce, fish, and other daily staples
- Learn about the Maldivian way of life from those who live in the community
- Hop aboard local transit, riding a public ferry and bus that’ll take you through the neighborhood
The ferry ride will take about 20 minutes, after which point you’ll disembark at Hulhumale Island, the sixth district of Malé. From here, you’ll take a local bus to the family home where you’ll be hosted for lunch. Along the route, you’ll see a bit of local life in a residential neighborhood away from the resorts, passing by the Hulhumale hospital, local shops, small cafes, a youth center, and a mosque.
Once you arrive at the hosts’ home, you’ll be asked to leave your shoes at the door, and your guide will teach you the traditional greeting to be made before entering a local home. You’ll meet some of the family members, and even though there may be people there who are unable to communicate with you in English, you’ll see how local hospitality transcends language barriers
You’ll pull out the ingredients you picked up the market, and you’ll be invited to participate in lunch preparation, helping to chop and grate coconut. Want to impress friends back home with your new Maldivian culinary skills? You can make notes so you can cook up an island feast on your own.
Once all the cooking is done, you enjoy a freshly prepared meal with local hosts. Sitting around the table together, people will share the thoughts about Maldivian cuisine, discuss local life in the Maldives, and you’ll even learn some common words that you can use during the remainder of the holiday. After the meal, your guide will walk with you to the ferry terminal and accompany you back to Malé.
- Local English-speaking guide
- Ferry and local bus transportation
- Additional food and drinks
- Optional speed boat transfers
- Tips and gratuities for your guide
Jetty number 5 opposite Bank of Ceylon (BOC). Please note, if you are staying on a private island resort you will need to arrange return transfer with the resort to and from Male. (Open in Google Maps)
While there is no expectation to offer gifts to the family, if you wish to do so, it is a great idea to bring something small that is indicative of your home country.
Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select ‘child’ above when booking. Children below the age of 6 are not permitted on this tour.
Product ID: 58874