Avila and Segovia Full-Day Tour from MadridProduct ID: 33633
From US$87.16 US$74.09 Save up to 15% per personBook now
Pick-up servicePick-up from some hotels in Madrid available on request.
- Explore the historic cities of Avila and Segovia in the fertile hills of Castille y Leon
- Go to the 12th-century Basílica of San Vicente and see one of Spain's finest Romanesque monuments
- Discover the birthplace of St.Teresa de Jesus
- Visit the favorite summer residence of the Kings of Castille
- Explore the medieval streets of Segovia and learn about its origins as a Roman stronghold
- Enjoy a lunch of typical local produce (optional)
Upon arrival, you will visit the fortified 12th-century Basílica of San Vicente, one of the most outstanding works of Romanesque architecture. Avila was the birthplace of St.Teresa de Jesus, one of the great mystics of the Catholic Church. Admire the convent, which opened in 1636 on her birthplace, and admire the baroque façade and Latin Cross plan. Stop at Cerro de Los Cuatro Postes for one of the best views of the city.
Then, depart for Segovia to explore its Roman origins and subsequent development as one of the most notable medieval cities in Spain. Enjoy free time or opt for a lunch of authentic Spanish produce at a typical restaurant of your choice (when option selected).
Large broad beans from La Granja, Segovian-style beef stew with accompaniments and dessert.
Large broad beans from La Granja, Roast suckling pig, Segovian tart with ice cream, Wine, Mineral Water and Coffee.
After lunch, visit the 16th-century Gothic Cathedral, known as the “Lady of all Cathedrals” due to its size and elegance. Among the highlights of the chapel is a magnificent altarpiece by Jose de Churriguera, with an impressive Flemish triptych.
Afterwards, move to the adjacent Alcázar, built between the 12th and 16th centuries on a rocky crag above the Eresma and Clamores rivers. During the Middle Ages, the Alcázar was a favorite residence of the Kings of Castille, before serving as a state prison until the reign of Charles II. Admire views of the Guadarrama mountains, before your journey back to Madrid.
The tour finishes at Plaza de Oriente.
- Transportation by Gran Comfort motorcoach
- Spanish and English-speaking guide
- Museum entrance fees
- Lunch (when option selected)
- Drinks (on standard tours)
• Not recommended for those with physical limitations or walking difficulties
• Please wear comfortable shoes and note that in winter the weather can be cold
• Vegetarian or coeliac lunch available on request
• Tour in Italian is only available on Tuesday, Friday and Sunday; Tour in French is only available on Wednesday and Saturday.
Product ID: 33633