Learn to make Lao wine, better known as Lao Hai, with a local teacher who specializes in this craft.
What to Expect
Lao Hai is a sweet rice wine produced by the Khmu hill-tribe for Pimai Lao (Lao New Year) and other festivals. Discover the art behind producing it, and then taste a smooth and delicious sample.
Arrive at the workshop after convenient transportation from your Luang Prabang hotel. Your friendly guide waits to greet you and introduce you to this age-old tradition. The process of making the wine begins with a fire. Ferment the sticky rice which is steamed before being mixed with crushed rice husk—this makes for an immensely smooth and naturally sweet flavor.
Once you've finished the wine, put it in an earthen jar where it further ferments for 3–4 days until it is ready to be enjoyed. You get to take your bottle home with you to savor at a later date and to try a ready made batch to toast your achievement.
- Guided wine making
- All necessary equipments
- Roundtrip transportation to/from your central Luang Prabang hotel
- Live tour commentary in English
Know Before You Go
• You must be 10 or older.
• You must be 18 years of age and present a valid photo ID in order to consume alcohol.
• Maximum group size is 8 people.
• Hours of operations are from 9 am — 3 pm. You will receive confirmation of your exact tour departure time when you call to confirm your reservation.