Speed over the fjord as you head towards the abandoned Soviet town, Grumant. See the remains of the forlorn settlement precariously positioned in a valley between towering cliffs, and catch glimpses of the wildlife surrounding it.
About this activity
- Free cancellation
- Cancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
- COVID-19 precautions
- Special health and safety measures apply. Learn more
- Mobile ticketing
- Use your phone or print your voucher
- Duration 3 hours
- Starting time 9:00 AM
- Instant confirmation
- Live tour guide
- English, Norwegian
- Pickup included
- Pick up is only available from: Radisson Blu Polar Hotel Spitsbergen, Funken Lodge, Coal Miners' Cabins, Svalbard Hotell Polfareren, Svalbard Hotell The Vault, Mary-Ann's Polarrigg and Port of Longyear.
- Marvel at the abandoned settlement, once home to 1200 people, abandoned in the 1960s
- Enjoy an introduction to the mining history of this region, and the hardy souls who came in search of it
- Keep your eyes peeled for wildlife like Arctic foxes and Svalbard reindeer, and whales in the fjord
- Transport to and from accommodation in Longyearbyen
- Exposure suit
- Life jacket and goggles
- Warm drinks and biscuits
- Tour leader/captain with safety equipment
- Search and rescue insurance
- Children under 8 years
- Pregnant women
- People with back problems
- All areas that customers touch are frequently cleaned
- Customers must keep distance in vehicles
- The number of visitors is limited to reduce crowds
Select participants and date
Prepare for the activity
What to bring
- Warm clothing
- Warm shoes
Know before you go
- Safety is the highest priority, and the guide needs to be able to give directions you understand. To participate, it is required that you speak and understand English or one of the Scandinavian languages.
- Please note that the tour is in an open boat, and you may experience bumpy seas and sea spray. This tour is not recommended for those with back problems or who are pregnant. Participants are personally responsible for any equipment they bring on board.
- A waiver must be signed to participate.
- All tours are subject to weather conditions, and the route may be adjusted.