London is a huge city overflowing with history and at times it may seem overwhelming for younger children. Take a specially designed family tour and ensure your children experience this city as they should – with imagination.
What to Expect
This tour is designed to bring the murky history of the Tower of London, the River Thames and the surrounding city vividly to life for your family. The itinerary ensures you see the very best of this historic part of London and with early entry into the Tower, you will be among the first to go through its gates as it’s waking up and at its quietest.
Your personalised experience begins at Embankment, where you’ll board your river boat down the Thames, or as your guide will describe it, a ship to sail the high seas, much as the mariners of the past would have done. As you float past the city of London, you and your family will be enthralled with dastardly tales of the smugglers, pirates, and mutineers who sailed the Thames, as well as the fate that befell them when caught. Be captivated as your guide conjures images of these scallywags being marched across London Bridge led by a man carrying a silver oar – the symbol of the power of the Admiralty – before facing their punishment.
As you see the Tower of London come into view on the banks of the Thames, it’s time to disembark and admire London Bridge itself, as well as the iconic Tower Bridge – one of the most recognisable bridges in the world - from the best vantage points along the river. With their heads swimming with stories of swashbucklers, your children will have a new-found fascination with these iconic sights, made all the more interesting by the specially designed tour activity materials provided by your guide for each child. These fun resources will ensure children are engaged at every part of the tour.
It’s then time to brave the Tower of London, former notorious prison and execution ground where even members of the Royal family came to a grisly end. The early morning departure means that your eager historians will be among the first to explore this amazing site. History comes alive for your children as your guide lays bare the Tower’s secrets – see the famous Beefeaters and learn about their proud history and traditions, learn what the ominously-named Traitor’s Gate was used for, and the legend of the beady-eyed ravens that stalk the Tower’s grounds. Marvel at the spectacular crown jewels, see the medieval palace where kings once lived, the towers where prisoners were held, and march along the ramparts as the guards once did defending this incredible fortress, enjoying spectacular views over the river. Follow your guide as they take you straight to the most significant sites, showing your children the very best of this unlikely palace.
- River boat tour
- Guided visit of the Tower of London
- Entrance tickets to the Tower of London
- Specially designed materials for children
- Expert English-speaking tour guide
- Small groups of 25 people or fewer
What's Not Included
- Hotel pick-up/drop off
Know Before You Go
• The supplier is unable to accommodate guests with wheelchairs or any impairments requiring special assistance
• They are also unable to accommodate strollers or baby carriages on our group tours
• Non-flash photography is permitted in the Tower of London
• London's tourist sites are among the most popular in the world. Skip the Line Access and careful planning limit crowd exposure, but please be aware that some locations may be unavoidably busy during standard hours
• Weather can be very changeable in London, please make sure you bring adequate rain wear if required
• This is a tour that involves a reasonable amount of walking. For this reason, we recommend comfortable shoes for all guests