Explore Portugal's religious history on a 2-day tour from Lisbon. Wander the streets of the walled city of Óbidos, explore the Gothic Monastery of Batalha, and go to the Sanctuary of Fátima to see one of the most iconic pilgrim sites for Catholics.
What to Expect
Explore Portugal's religious sites on a 2-day package tour from Lisbon, traveling to the walled city of Óbidos. Marvel at its monumental citadel and see stunning Azulejo tiles. Continue to the Gothic Monastery of Batalha, and visit one of the holiest sites of the Catholic faith at the Sanctuary of Fátima.
Depart Lisbon and drive north to the beautiful walled town of Óbidos. Explore its picturesque streets under the shadow of the fortress. Go to the castle, now home to a pousada (historic hotel). Continue to Alcobaça to visit a 12th-century church containing the tombs of Pedro and Inês de Castro. Stop for lunch in Nazaré, one of Portugal’s most colorful fishing villages. Time permitting, travel on to Sitio for a panoramic view of the beach and village. Spend the afternoon at the Gothic and Manueline-style Batalha Monastery. Drive to Fátima to check into your hotel, and go to evening mass (optional).
Enjoy breakfast at your hotel. Then, explore Fátima at leisure. The historic pilgrim center is awash with Christian sights, including the church that houses the tombstones of Lucia, Jacinta, and Francisco, the 3 children that saw the apparition of the Virgin Mary that put Fátima on the map. Go to the Chapel of Apparitions at the heart of the shrine, and attend mass if you wish. Return to Lisbon by air-conditioned vehicle, driving through the fertile farming regions of the Oueste subregion of Portugal.
- Pick-up from any hotel in Lisbon
- 1 night's accommodation and buffet breakfast
- Transportation by air-conditioned bus or minivan
- Entrance fees for Batalha and Alcobaça Monasteries (both UNESCO World Heritage Sites)
- Lunch on day 1 at an ocean view restaurant
- Dinner on day 1 (full board option only)
What's Not Included
- Optional gratuities
- Additional meals not mentioned in "what's included (dinner supplement at the hotel in Fátima: EUR 32 per person)
Know Before You Go
• Please note that the tour departs at 09:00
• Tours are available in Portuguese, English, Spanish or German
• Reservations are only accepted up to 72 hours prior to the tour date
• Reservations are only guaranteed following due receipt of payment by bank transfer. This must be submitted at least 72 hours prior to the date of service
• Cancellations can be made up to 72 hours prior to departure date; free of any charges. There are no refunds after this deadline
• Tickets for children up to the age of four are free, but only include transportation (with any other costs incurred by the accompanying adult)
• Children more than 5 years old pay the adult fee
• This tour has a minimum 4 passenger requirement, and is subject to cancellation if this minimum is not met. In the unlikely event of such a cancellation, a refund will be provided
• The difference between the "premium" and "classic" tour options is in regards to hotel categories and the inclusions/exclusions of monument entrance fees