This tour will take you to the most majestic baroque construction of the 18th century Europe, the Palácio Nacional de Mafra. From here you will visit also the fishing village of Ericeira with all its gastronomy and history.
What to Expect
Leave the traditional Lisbon & Sintra tours, and join this private tour to Mafra to discover a magnificent building that was only possible due to the Brazilian gold that poured into the country, allowing King João V to carry out the building of the biggest baroque palaces from the 18th century.
You will be walking though the longest corridor ever built in a palace (232 m long). All made of limestone and marble from this region (Pêro Pinheiro and Sintra), the building covers an area of almost four hectares (37.790 qm), including 1.200 rooms, more than 4.700 doors and windows, 156 stairways and 29 inner yards and courtyards. Its construction began on November 17, 1717 and it integrates 4 buildings in one: the palace, the convent, a basilica and a library.
The basilica has an ensemble of 6 organs that are unique in the world, commissioned by D. João VI from the organ builders Machado Cerveira and Peres Fontanes. The library itself is one of the most important in Europe, having an enormous variety of books (more than 30.000 volumes) from the XVth to the XVIIIth century. Showing its importance at the time, the Pope Benedictus XIV emitted a Papal bull (1754) allowing this Library to shelter the Index of forbidden books and prohibits under threat of excommunication “anyone of any state or condition, at any time or in any way, to take, remove or borrow any printed book or manuscript stored in the Library without the permission of the Portuguese King.” flanked by two towers, the basilica is the “center piece” of the facade having been designed by the German architect Johann Friedrich Ludwig and commissioned by D. João V.
After this emersion in history you will go and visit the fishing village of Ericeira, take a stroll, taste the local gastronomy and get to know a bit more of its history. At the end of the tour, you will be transferred back to the starting point.
- Pick-up and drop off at Lisbon hotels or the cruise port
- Private guide
- Transportation by air-conditioned car or van
- Bottled water
- Entrance fees
What's Not Included
- Any other items not mentioned in the description
Know Before You Go
• Be sure to bring comfortable shoes, sunscreen, and a camera.
• If you are on a shore excursion from the cruise port, the tour times are flexible
• National monuments are closed on public holidays and special occasions (without notice)
• For tours with a maximum of 6 participants there will be 1 private guide. If there are more than 6 persons on the tour there will be 2 guides/vans
• The tour is flexible in terms of start time, length of stay at each site, and modifications to the suggested itinerary
• This is a free tour for children up to 3 years of age