Visit the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Fatima, one of the world’s most popular pilgrimage destinations for the Catholic faithful. You’ll also stop to see the Monastery of Batalha, the most fascinating Gothic monument in Europe, on this full-day tour.
What to Expect
Following a pick-up at your hotel in Lisbon, you’ll travel in an air-conditioned, 8-seat vehicle to the Fatima Sanctuary. Learn about the miracle of the apparition of the Virgin to local shepherd children in 1917. With free time you can explore the pilgrimage site and attend mass if you wish.
Next, your 8-hour tour moves west to the coast, with a stop at Batalha to visit the Batalha Monastery, a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of the most fascinating Gothic monuments in Europe. King John I of Portugal built the monastery to give thanks to the Virgin Mary over a battle against Spanish troops in 1385.
After lunch, you’ll visit Sítio, a clifftop village that offers some of the best views in Portugal. From high on the cliffs surrounding Nazaré, you’ll learn about the legend of Nossa Senhora da Nazaré. The statue of Our Lady of Nazaré is one of the oldest Christian art pieces.
Continuing on, you’ll fall in love with the colorful, romantic village of Obidos. Its winding streets and medieval structures, castle walls and handicraft shops make this stop the highlight of the trip for many people. You’ll have the opportunity here to taste the typical liquor of this region known as ginjinha, or simply ginja.
- Hotel pick-up and drop off in Lisbon
- Free time to attend mass in Fatima
- Transportation by air-conditioned vehicle
- Personal and accident insurance
- Free time to explore at each stop
- Free WiFi on board the vehicle
Know Before You Go
• Children between the ages of 3 and 11 years are entitled to a 50 percent discount
• You can adjust the itinerary according to your interests and preferred language