Spend an amazing day on a visit to the Berlengas archipelago, a pirate-like setting where you can kayak, snorkel, and explore the UNESCO Biosphere World Heritage Site. Take a boat to Berlenga Island and explore historic sites, nature reserve, and caves.
What to Expect
On this full-day excursion you'll be picked up at your Lisbon hotel at around 09:00 and travel by minivan to the city of Peniche, a traditional fishing village, where you'll find a boat waiting to take your group to Berlenga Island.
After arriving at the island, you’ll then board a smaller boat in order to see St. John the Baptist Fort. Built in the 17th century, the fort was an important part of the shore defense system. Hear stories about the brave soldiers who defended it during the attack by the Spanish fleet.
Take a walk back to the port along the authorized paths of the nature reserve, admiring the amazing views in this UNESCO Biosphere Heritage Site. At the port, you’ll have some free time for lunch (not included), or for a quick swim or snorkeling (equipment provided) at the beach nearby. There is just 1 restaurant on the Island, but it is of good quality and fresh fish is always available.
If you bring a snack with you on the trip, you’ll find the island’s only beach just steps away. Snorkeling here is a good option, as undersea life is abundant and the waters are calm. After lunch, you’ll have a chance to kayak around the island if you like.
The island cliffs are full of caves, and you can kayak through them. For the less active, there’s the option of touring the caves in a small glass-bottom boat.
Afterwards, you’ll head back the mainland for the return trip to Lisbon.
- Round-trip minivan transfers from Lisbon
- Boat ride to and from the island
- Boat transfer to St. John the Baptist Fort
- Snorkeling equipment
- Kayak ride or boat tour of the island’s caves and cliffs
What to Remember
• It not recommended that you book the tour on weekends as the Island gets a little crowded during the summer
• The climate conditions do not always allow the tour to operate, and can even change while you're on the island
• Don’t forget your towel, swimsuit, and sunscreen
• Wear comfortable shoes, as you will do some walking on steep paths
• You may bring your own lunch if you like, as there is only 1 restaurant available