See the best of North Portugal on a comprehensive 6-day package tour. Visit scenic villages such as Obidos, follow in the footsteps of pilgrims at the Fatima Sanctuary, discover the European Capital of Culture 2012 at Guimarães, and more.
What to Expect
Discover the best of North Portugal on a comprehensive 6-day tour. Visit historic castles and cathedrals, follow in the footsteps of pilgrims at Fatima and Santiago de Compostela, taste the wines and local produce of some of Portugal’s most fertile landscapes, and more.
Day 1: Lisbon - Óbidos - Alcobaça - Nazaré - Batalha - Fátima
Discover a landscape rich with windmills and fruit trees in Óbidos, a scenic village surrounded by medieval walls, where you can admire the harmony of the architecture, and the diversity of the handicrafts, and taste the famous ginginha (bitter cherry liqueur). Continue to Alcobaça to see the largest Gothic church in Portugal. Next, stop in the typical fishing village of Nazaré and learn its legends. Continue to the Monastery of Santa Maria de Victoria in Batalha, where you can find the tomb of Henry the Navigator, promoter of Portugal’s maritime discoveries. Follow in the footsteps of Catholic pilgrims as you make your way to the Fátima Marian Shrine. There may be the chance to see the candlelit procession at Fátima, before you check into your hotel accommodation for the night.
Day 2: Fátima - Coimbra - Aveiro - Porto
Following breakfast at your hotel, continue your journey towards Coimbra. Discover the world’s oldest university with its magnificent Baroque library and unique atmosphere characterized by ancient traditions, such as the students’ black capes and the melancholic fado music. Stop at St. Clara Church to see the tomb of Queen St. Isabel, protagonist of the “Miracle of the Roses.” Marvel at the famous ceramics of Coimbra, before going to the canal city of Aveiro, known as the “Portuguese Venice.” Watch the graceful boats known as “moliceiros”, and taste the sweet, local ovos moles. Continue to Porto to check into your hotel for the night.
Day 3: Porto - Guimarães - Braga - Porto
Today you will explore Portugal’s 2nd largest city, and discover a living amphitheater of riverside houses, palaces, churches, and Port wine bars. Next, head into the sparkling “green wine” region of Minho. Discover the cradle of the nation (and the birthplace of the 1st king of Portugal) at Guimarães. Stroll through the historic center, and travel back to medieval times. Go to Sacred Hill, crowned by the castle, and Palace of the Dukes of Bragança. Then, drive to Braga to discover the "Portuguese Rome." See the oldest cathedral in Portugal, and the Bom Jesus do Monte Sanctuary with its famous Baroque stairway and gardens. Return to Porto.
Day 4: Porto - Santiago de Compostela - Porto
Enjoy breakfast at your hotel, before departing for Santiago de Compostela, capital of Galicia and the center of pilgrimage at the end of the Santiago Way. Declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1985, Santiago de Compostela is a fascinating city, and you will have the entire day free to explore. Wander its historic streets, and learn about its most extraordinary monuments before sampling some of the traditional local dishes. Return to Porto to check into your hotel for the night.
Day 5: Porto - Amarante - Vila Real - Vale do Douro - Lamego - Urgeiriça
Depart Porto after breakfast, and head towards the Douro Valley, stopping en route at the pretty town of Amarante. See the monastery of São Gonçalo, and marvel at the houses facing the river, along with the bustling market where you can find fruit, vegetables, chickens, clothes, and much more. Next, go to Vila Real to see the gardens of Mateus, well-known for its depiction on bottles of Portuguese rosé wine. Enter the Port wine region of Portugal, travelling through vineyards and the breathtaking landscapes of the Douro Valley. Stop in Lamego, overlooked by one of Portugal's most important shrines, the N. S. Remédios, with its magnificent Baroque style staircase. Try some of the local delicacies, such as the typical ham or famous Bola de Lamego (a loaf baked in the oven with smoked ham). Continue to the mountainous hinterland of Viseu, center of the Dão Vineyards, and connected with Portugal´s oldest hero, the Lusitanian chief, Viriato. Stroll the narrow streets to see doorways with coats of arms carved in granite. Continue to Urgeiriça to check into your hotel for the night.
Day 6: Urgeiriça - Bussaco - Tomar - Lisbon
Drive through the heart of Portugal to the luxuriant forests of Bussaco. Continue to Tomar to explore the city of the “Order of the Templars.” Hear how they received the lands in 1159 as a reward for the assistance they gave Dom Afonso Henriques (the 1st King of Portugal) in the Christian Re-conquest. See the stunning castle and Convent of Christ built by Dom Gualdim Pais, the first Grand Master of the Order in Portugal. Continue to Lisbon, crossing the bridge over the River Tagus before the end of your tour.
- Pick-up from any hotel in Lisbon
- Accommodation on a buffet breakfast basis at the following 4-star hotels (or similar): Hotel Santa Maria in Fátima; Ipanema Porto in Oporto; Hotel da Urgeiriça in Canas do Senhorim
- Transportation by air-conditioned minivan or bus
- Entrance fees for Batalha Monastery, Coimbra University, "Palácio da Bolsa" and S. Francisco Church (Oporto), Palácio Mateus Gardens, and the "Convento do Cristo" (Tomar)
What's Not Included
- Entrance fees not mentioned in "what's included"
- Lunches and dinners
- Tips and personal expenses
- Pick-up service from the Estoril Coast, Sintra, Cascais and Costa da Caparica, and Sesimbra (available for an additional charge)
Know Before You Go
• Reservations are only accepted up to 72 hours prior to the tour date. Reservations are only guaranteed following due receipt of payment by bank transfer, which needs to be submitted at least 72 hours prior to the date of service
• Cancellations up to 72 hours prior to the departure date are free of any charges. There are no refunds after this deadline
• Tickets for children up to the age of 4 are free but only includes transportation (all other costs incurred by the accompanying adult). Children more than 5 years old pay the adult fee
• This tour has a minimum 4 passenger requirement and is subject to cancellation if this minimum is not met. In the unlikely event of such a cancellation, a refund will be provided