Experience the wonders of a traditional Japanese tea ceremony. Learn about the ceremony's history and the different tea-making methods from an English-speaking tea master from Urasenke, the biggest school of tea ceremony in Japan.
About this ticket
- Free cancellation
- Cancel up to 24 hours in advance for a full refund
- Reserve now & pay later
- Keep your travel plans flexible — book your spot and pay nothing today.
- Covid-19 precautions
- Special health and safety measures are in place. Check your activity voucher once you book for full details.
- Duration 45 minutes
- Check availability to see starting times.
- English, Javanese, Japanese
- Wheelchair accessible
- Private group available
Select participants and date
• Meet at the Tea Ceremony Koto (茶道体験古都), the building with the orange curtain. If you reserve the Kimono add-on, please arrive 20 minutes early. • The meeting point is a 1-minute walk from Kinkakuji-Michi city bus stop, 10-15 minutes by Kyoto city bus 204 or 205 from Kitaoji subway station, 10-15 minutes by Kyoto city bus 204 or 205 from JR Enmachi, or a 1-minute walk from the gate of Kinkakuji-temple. Look next to the parking area for bicycles if you are visiting Kinkakuji-temple.Open in Google Maps ⟶
- Video recording
Know before you go
- If you reserve the Kimono add-on, it is necessary to come 20 minutes before the start time of the tea ceremony (a reservation is necessary, as it is difficult to add a kimono suddenly when you arrive)
- There is no dress code for this activity
- Calling a taxi after the exercise is impossible because the taxi companies won’t get on the phone immediately. A big taxi stand is just in front of the activity location. It usually open around 5:30 PM
- If you might have difficulty sitting on floor, please inform the supplier and they will be able to provide chairs
- This tour is recommended for those who wish to learn Japanese traditional culture, as it offers the full version of the thin tea ceremony as opposed to a simplified version customized for foreign tourists