Pedal along the tranquil waters of Lake Biwa on a leisurely cycling adventure. Discover the beautiful village with hundreds of terraced rice fields, tucked away in the mountains. Visit a farm house and enjoy delicious homemade lunch.
What to Expect
Enjoy and experience Japan's countryside! Bike along the lake and visit an ancient shrine with beautiful Torii gate standing in the water. Later, visit a small village by taxi and walk around among the beautiful terraced rice fields. Then you can enjoy a delicious home made lunch at the farmer's house, which you can help prepare! This is a wonderful opportunity to see the real life of Japanese people in the countryside.
On this tour, you'll be visiting the Takashima area on the northwest side of Lake Biwa that offers exceptionally charming views of both the lake and mountains. It takes about 40 minutes by train from JR Kyoto station to Omi-Takashima station, where your English-speaking tour guide will welcome you.
In the morning, you will enjoy cycling leisurely through the village, along the ancient pond and along the lakeside. After a short refreshing ride, you'll arrive at Shirahige shrine where the Shinto god of longevity is believed to reside. This shrine is famous for its Torii, (Shinto vermillion gate) standing gracefully in the clear lake water.
After bidding farewell to the shrine, pedal back and arrive at the station where you will then be picked up by a comfortable taxi to go to the tucked away mountain village. After 15 minutes drive or so, you'll arrive at the village in the midst of the mountain where spectacularly beautiful terraced rice fields can be viewed.
One of the highlights of this tour is having homemade lunch in the private house of a farmer. You will stand alongside the farmer's wife and assist (to the extent you like) as she prepares a delicious homemade lunch. Both simple and nourishing, you will find these dishes different from the food served at restaurants. Enjoy all the delicious homemade food while your guide and hosts give you some stories about the village history and its people.
After lunch, step outside to enjoy the beautiful views of the terraced rice fields, strolling among them. This will be the time for you to take some wonderful photos. Your guide will take you through the village to the view points. At the end of the tour, you will leisurely stroll down through the village to the local bus stop to make your way back to Omi-Takashima station.
- Use of bicycle and helmet
- Taxi and bus fee to/from the village
- English speaking local tour guide
- Homemade lunch
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
What's Not Included
- Hotel pick-up (optional)
- Train fee to/from JR Omi-Takashima Station (one way trip from JR Kyoto station cost 840 yen)
Cancel up to 1 day in advance for a full refund
JR Omi-Takashima station (Kosei line. About 40 minutes train ride from JR Kyoto station).
(Open in Google Maps)
Know Before You Go
• Please inform the tour operator of any dietary restrictions
• Not recommended for children aged 9 and under
• In case of bad weather from December to March, a taxi will be used instead of bikes to go to Shirahige Shrine during December-March
• All passenger heights MUST be advised at time of booking
• The bicycle ride is about 20 minutes each way. The Shrine Gate to the lake is along a rather busy lake shore road. Although there is a side pavement that you may ride along, participants need to be confident riders and, if children are accompanying you, that you feel confident about their ability and safety also.