Enjoy a peaceful and relaxing day as a guest of the traditional village! Cycle along a beautiful lakeside road up to the stunning scenes of rice terraces using electric bikes. Experience cooking from a local farmer's home followed by delicious lunch.
What to Expect
How would you like to enjoy a day off in the ultimate tranquility of the Japan's charming countryside? Cycle along the serene shores of Lake Biwa and visit a farmer's beautiful house for a cooking experience and to eat lunch – it will surely be a unique and unforgettable experience for you! Take a slow-paced, off-the-beaten-track tour to the countryside to see a different side of Japan, where you will visit shrines and streets free of crowds of tourists.
After a 40-minute scenic train ride from JR Kyoto station, you will arrive at JR Shiga station. Your guide will welcome you at the station. From there, you will ride electric powered bicycles along the lakeside path through the village of Shiga. Enjoy a refreshing and comfortable ride with electric bicycles through the village. Have fun pedaling at your own pace with the beautiful mountain range rising just ahead of you. With seasonal activities including rice planting and harvesting, you may have the opportunity to learn about the farmer's life in rural Japan.
For lunch, you will visit a local farming family's traditional Japanese-style home. Savor delicious Chicken Sukiyaki with homegrown fresh vegetables and rice, prepared by you (with a little help). Chicken Sukiyaki is a holiday dish in Western Shiga especially for local festivals. Many guests become big fans of this salty-sweet hotpot. You will also have the chance to taste local delicacies such as homemade plum wine or pickles, completely free from artificial preservatives and utterly delicious.
Return to Kyoto with fond memories. You will pedal back to JR Shiga Station on your bicycle while enjoying the breeze from the lake and reflecting on the lovely day’s meetings.
- Rental Bicycle
- Homemade Lunch
- Simple cooking experience
- English-speaking tour guide
What's Not Included
- Hotel pick-ups and drop-off
- Beverages and snacks
JR Shiga Station (JR Kosei line. About 40 minutes train ride from JR Kyoto station).
(Open in Google Maps)
Know Before You Go
• You must be able to ride a bicycle on your own
• Please inform your tour operator of your height
• Please inform your tour operator in advance if you have any diet restriction
• A tour will be cancelled if the chance of rain for the date of the tour is forecast at 60% or more on the day prior
• Please understand that the itinerary may be changed without notice due to the weather, traffic and emergency situations
• On this tour we will be visiting the workshop of local artisans as an optional activity, and you can enjoy seeing their crafts and learn about their age-old production techniques – guests are under no obligation to purchase any of these products unless they wish to do so
• Vegetarian meals available on request