Saint Michael's Golden Domed Monastery, Kiev Tour
Pickup optionalTraveler's centrally located Hotel or Apartment in Kiev. Private Guide and transport will meet at this address what you inform in booking.
- Enjoy the company of a private guide for a more personalized experience
- Take a fully narrated tour
- Relax with pick-up from a centrally located meeting
- Experience excellent value for money
To see original mosaics and frescoes from St. Michael’s with the golden dome you need to go to St. Sophia’s in Kiev, Tretyakov gallery in Moscow and Russian museum in St. Petersburg where they have been kept since 1930s. Although some fresco ornaments were returned recently from Hermitage museum and you will see them in the museum in St. Michael’s Bell Tower. Mosaics and frescos had been removed from cathedral’s interior in 1930s before the cathedral got demolished. It was rebuilt in the year 2000 with new mosaics and murals. Since St. Michael’s was enlarged in XVIII century as two chapels were added to it – St. Barbara’s and St. Catherine’s - the interior today has murals in Byzantine and baroque styles. All four icon stands are baroque. They are made from pine and linden wood plated with gold. Byzantine style depicting patron saints of family life and monastic life.
The tour will include visit to St. Michael’s with the golden dome (it had one dome initially and now it has 7 domes), refectory church of St. John Evangelist (unlike St. Michael’s it has survived Soviet times and is 300 years old, this church has a brick blow and white – color walls inside: its icons are decorated with Ukrainian style ritual towels) and the cathedral’s museum. The museum of St. Michael’s with golden dome is located in its Bell Tower. It has a few lovely scale models of St. Michael’s monastery, the silver shrine of St. Barbara (her relic is now kept in St.Vladimir’s Cathedral), one of the silver gates of St. Michael’s Cathedral (XVIII century), fragments of medieval mosaics and iron tiles of its XIX century’s floor. From the top level of the Bell Tower You will see beautiful buildings around including St.Sophia’s.
- Private guided tour
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off (except walking tour)
- Transport by private car or by minivan or by minibus (except walking tour)
- Walking tour
- Guide will pick you up at the entrance gate St.Michael's Cathedral
- Explore the history of the History of the St. Michael's Cathedral
- Entrance fees to Museums St. Michael's Cathedral (about US$2 per person)
- Please be know that you should pay entrance fees for your private guide
- Food and drinks
- Extra services
Prepare for the activity
Tour start near the Entrance Gate of the St.Michael's Cathedral. Address: Triohsviatitelska street, building 8. Guide will meet you with name sign in a hands "MICHAEL TOUR" at the right side of the entrance Gate.Open in Google Maps ⟶
• Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
From US$ 71.77 US$ 64.60 Per group up to 3