Experience the many wonders of Kerala, as you explore Cochin, Munnar, Periyar, and Allepey. Visit a hill station in the Western Ghats and an elephant and tiger reserve on the banks of Periyar Lake. Cruise the waters of Kerala by eco-friendly houseboat.
What to Expect
Discover Kerala’s incredible variety on this 5-night, 6-day tour of Cochin, Munnar, Periyar, and Allepey. Experience the serenity of cruising through the backwaters of Kerala in a houseboat. See a performance of Kalaripayattu, the oldest of the martial arts, and traditional Kathakali dancing.
Day 1: Cochin
You’ll be met by your driver at the airport and transferred to your hotel with some time to relax and refresh before heading out on your sightseeing tour of Cochin.
Visit the Jewish Synagogue. Built in 1568, this is India’s oldest synagogue, and is decorated with Chinese tiles and Belgian chandeliers. See St. Francis Church, built in 1516, the first European church in India.
Your guide will take you to see the Dutch Palace, built by the Portuguese in 1557 as a gift to the Raja of Cochin. The Indo-Portuguese Museum, the next stop on your tour, was established to preserve the rich Portuguese heritage in Cochin. See the Chinese fishing nets, set on teak wood and bamboo poles, and introduced to Cochin by Chinese explorer Zheng He.
Overnight in Cochin.
Day 2: Cochin-Munnar
After breakfast you’ll drive to Munnar, a magnificent hill station in the Western Ghats at about 5000 feet above sea level. This is one of Kerala’s most beautiful hill stations and is the center of the area’s tea industry. Marvel at the spectacular views of low-flying clouds, misty valleys, and cascading waterfalls. Spend the day at leisure.
In the evening you’ll visit the Punarjani Traditional Village to watch a performance of Kalaripayattu, the oldest of the martial arts.
Overnight in Munnar.
Day 3: Munnar
After breakfast your sightseeing tour begins. The main attractions include the famous Kundale tea plantation, the Tea Museum, Eravikulam National Park, and Mattuppetty Dam.
Overnight in Munnar.
Day 4: Munnar-Thekkady
You’ll head to Thekkady after breakfast. Thekkady is known for its stimulating natural beauty, unending chains of hills, and its spice plantations. Visit Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary, situated on the banks of Periyar Lake. Spreading over an area of 925 square kilometers, this is a notable elephant and tiger reserve.
In the evening, you’ll visit the Kadathanadan Kalari Centre to watch a performance of Kathakali. Kathakali is a blend of dance, music, and acting. Stories adapted mostly from the Indian epics are told through the dance form. It is a stylized art form where the dancer expresses himself through codified hand gestures and facial expressions.
Overnight in Thekkady.
Day 5: Thekkady-Allepey
After breakfast, you’ll drive to Alleppey and check into your houseboat. These huge boats are made from eco-friendly materials such as wood and rope, and were originally designed to carry farm produce along the waterways. They have evolved into well-equipped house boats that take visitors on a leisurely cruise along Punnamada Lake and the Alleppey backwaters. Sit back and relax while the boat cruises through the narrow serene backwater canals of Alleppey and enjoy the scenic beauty of nature at its finest.
Overnight on the houseboat.
Day 6: Alleppey-Cochin
After breakfast you’ll leave the houseboat for the drive to Cochin and catch your departing flight.
- 4 nights’ accommodation on single/twin/triple sharing basis (as per plan) in 3-star hotels
- 1 night’s houseboat accommodation in Alleppey with all meals (lunch, dinner, breakfast)
- Sightseeing and excursion as per description with service of English-speaking tour guide
- Monuments fee
- Kalaripayattu martial arts performance
- Kathakali traditional dance performance
- Cochin-Munnar-Thekkady-Alleppey sightseeing and excursion tour by air-conditioned car
- Mineral water available in the vehicle
- All applicable taxes and service charges
What's Not Included
- Air and train fares
- Medical insurance
- Any expenses arising out of unforeseen circumstances such as flight delays, cancellations, hikes in
- fares, strikes, or natural calamities
- Expenses of a personal nature, such as telephone calls, laundry, beverages, meals not included in the description, tips
- Camera fee at monuments
Cancel up to 1 day in advance for a full refund
Know Before You Go
Please inform the tour operator of your room preference when booking:
• If 1 person books the tour it will be on a single-room basis
• If the package is booked on a twin-sharing basis, 2 persons will share the room
• If the package is booked on a triple-sharing basis, 3 persons will share the room
• If the package is booked for 5 persons, 1 double and 1 triple room will be provided