Experience a private Safari experience in Pilanesberg Game Reserve. Specially selected vehicles are used which allow for great photography and comfort.
What to Expect
The route to Pilanesberg passes through the most scenic areas of the region and passed many of its best known tourist attractions. It takes around 2.5-3 hours to get there from Johannesburg. but 30 mins less from Pretoria.
The Best Possible Experience
It is hoped visitors to Pilanesberg will gain the best possible experience. The best vehicles for your group size are used (crucial to exploring the reserve and seeing the animals).
For most smaller groups (1 – 5 people/families) 4x4 SUV’s are used. This is the best vehicle to use. Many safari companies use big 25 seat trucks. It is impossible to get the best experience in this situation. In the SUV you will move from one sighting to the next when you wish, and so you do not have to bend to the requests of 20 or more other people in the vehicle. Similarly, minibuses and small motor cars do not make good safari vehicles. For photography and viewing SUV’s are the best.
Qualified experienced guides are present who know the reserve and animals, and where to find them. These guides also know how to answer questions and share knowledge about the region and the animals and South Africa in general.
Sunrise or Sunset Safari
It is wise to reach the safari early, departing from Johannesburg between 03:00-04:00, to catch the dawn activity as the sun rises, or at 09:00 to have an early lunch and then do the sunset drive when the animals become active again. It is also cooler and more enjoyable to drive in the reserve at these times. When it's hotter in the middle of the day, many of the animals retreat to deep shade and go to sleep. The cats and other predators generally rest at this time too.
You will stop for lunch at the best possible place in the reserve to dine or just sit and relax. The open terrace and lawns at Bakubung give unparalleled views of the reserve, and there's a watering hole right in front where animals come to drink. You can be barely 10 meters from the fence, and elephants often come right up to it. Many enjoy the beauty of this spot and having a meal there since the food is excellent.
What to wear
It is best to wear light clothing particularly in summer and winter during the day and good walking shoes, sun hat and sunscreen. Bring a light jacket in case of rain showers cooling things down.
But please note in winter and even in summer, the cool breeze generated in the unprotected open safari vehicle requires a light jacket in summer and a heavier one with hat and scarf in winter.
Food and drink
There is plenty of cold mineral water on board the vehicles, but you might like to bring your own preferred refreshment along. There is a stop for coffee and tea either on the way there or at a small restaurant in the middle of the reserve or both. If staying at a hotel or guest house and departing early morning, your establishment will often prepare for you a packed breakfast, and you will stop at a picnic spot or watering hole so you can have the most pleasant of picnics.
The route to Pilanesberg passes through the most scenic areas of the region and passed many of its best known tourist attractions.
- Relevant entrance fees
- Mineral water in the vehicle
- Return transfers to and from Pilanesberg game reserve to Johannesburg/Pretoria
- Door to Door pickup and drop off
What's Not Included
- Non alcoholic drinks
- Extra time
- Travel Insurance
- Gratuities (optional)
Reception or Lobby of the Hotel. If picking up from the airport we will meet and greet you with a sign in the arrival hall.
Know Before You Go
• Minibus/coach and safari vehicle combo
• When this option is used, you will go to the reserve in the minibus/coach. Once at the reserve, you will rendezvous with the ranger and his open safari vehicle in which you go on safari for 3 hours in the reserve. These guys are absolute experts and will entertain and enthrall you with stories and information about the animals. They also know exactly how close you can get to a bull elephant!
• The guide will then take you on a tour of the waterholes, dams and view sites inside the reserve where it's permitted to get out of the vehicle. Here you can view crocodiles, hippos and many other animals coming to drink, as well as fascinating bird life and plants.
• This combination is automatically used when there are more than 4 guests booking this tour