Discover the historic Chand Baori stepwell of Abhaneri and visit the Harshat Mata Temple, built by King Chand in the Gupta art tradition of Devgarh. Get close to some of the most important landmarks of Rajasthan on a scenic drive from Jaipur.
What to Expect
Drive to the village of Abhaneri for this full-day tour of some of Rajasthan’s landmark attractions. Located about 57 miles (95 kilometers) from Jaipur on the Agra road, Abhaneri was founded by King Raja Chand, believed to be Raja Bhoja, ruler of the Gurjar kingdom, in the 9th century AD.
Marvel at the unique baoris (step wells) of Rajasthan, admiring the innovative constuctions that help to harvest rainwater. As Rajasthan is extremely arid, the step wells historically provided an important source of water, as well as a cool retreat in parched times.
The Chand Baori is one of the most prominent of the stepwells, and even boasted a royal residence with rooms for the king and queen, as well as a stage for performing arts. One of the oldest attractions in Rajasthan, the Chand Baori descends 13 storeys that are connected by thousands of steps.
Enjoy the old world charm of the village, reflected in pretty architecture that is suggestive of Abhaneri’s importance to the arts.
Continue to the Harshat Mata Temple, dedicated to a revered goddess of mirth and happiness. Wash your hands and feet according to tradition before entering the temple to see a superb example of early medieval Rajasthani architecture. Marvel at the exquisite designs of the columns and temple walls, depicting scenes of dance, music, love, and sports.
- English-speaking guide
- Transportation by air-conditioned vehicle
- All applicable taxes and service charges
What's Not Included
- Air or train fares
- Monument fees
- Medical insurance
- Any expenses due to unforeseen circumstances, such as flight delay, cancellation, hike in fare, strike, or any natural calamity
- Tips and personal expenses
- Camera fee at monuments
Know Before You Go
• Cancellations made up to 7 days prior to tour get a full refund. Cancellations 3-6 days prior to tour are subject to a 50% cancellation charge. Cancellations less than 48 days prior to tour pay the full cost