Istanbul: Behind the Scenes Tour of the Grand Bazaar
From $52 per personBook now
- Visit the artisan workshops of the Grand Bazaar
- Discover unique views of Istanbul from the bazaar's rooftop
- Interact with local craftsmen and women, including jewelers and carpet designers
- See the site of the last loom in the Grand Bazaar
- Follow in the footsteps of James Bond at a location site from the movie "Skyfall"
- Get off the usual tourist train and discover a more authentic side to Istanbul
Visit the buzzing workshops of some of Turkey’s great craftsmen, and discover a side of the bazaar that has remained unchanged for hundreds of years. Meet some of the artisans in the company of a local guide as you slip away from the usual tourist trail and wind your way through the less frequented warrens.
See men and women making jewelry, fabrics, and traditional Iznik ceramic tiles. Watch a silver polisher at work, and go to a small carpet-making factory to see the home to the last loom in the Grand Bazaar. At every studio you visit you will get the chance to interact with passionate craftsmen who will be delighted to chat with you about their craft - all interpreted by your English-speaking guide. Share in their love for their craft, and learn how much care and attention goes into the creation of each product.
You will also discover some of the bazaar’s rooftop exits to encounter some of the most unique views of Istanbul. Visit the rooftop that was the setting for an incredible chase scene in the James Bond movie “Skyfall.” Go to viewpoints unknown to tourists (and even most locals), and get a feel for what the Grand Bazaar is really like.
- Guided tour of the workshops and rooftops of the Grand Bazaar
- Admission to all workshops and rooftops
- Live tour commentary in English
- Hotel pick-up and drop off
Meet your guide by the Çemberlitaş tram stop, at the column of Constantine. They will be waiting on the side of the column furthest from the multiplex cinema Directions from Taksim Square: Take the funicular to Kabatas, and then the tram in the direction of Bagcilar. Get off at the Çemberlitaş stop Directions by taxi: Tell the driver to go to Çemberlitaş. Cemberlitas Hamam is a good reference point, as it is located across the street from the column. (Çemberlitaş Hamamı, Mollafenari Mh. 34120 Fatih/İstanbul) (Open in Google Maps)
• Please note that on occasions some of the sites visited may be closed for special celebrations or festivities, or for personal reasons of the artisans. If this occurs during your visit, you will spend more time at other sites
• Large bags are not allowed on the tour, since the grounds are uneven and there is a lot of climbing of stairs. Please wear comfortable shoes
Product ID: 59088