Experience the magic of a guided Hobbiton Movie Set tour. Immerse yourself in the sights, smells, sounds and tastes of the Shire as featured in The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit trilogies.
About this activity
- Free cancellation
- Cancel up to 24 hours in advance for a full refund
- Reserve now & pay later
- Keep your travel plans flexible — book your spot and pay nothing today.
- Duration 2 - 2.5 hours
- Check availability to see starting times.
- Live tour guide
- Wheelchair accessible
Select participants and date
Hobbiton Movie Set is located a little southeast of Hamilton in a small town called Matamata. Free parking is available on site. If you are driving from Matamata, it’s about a 20-minute drive to the Shire’s Rest Cafe on Buckland Road. Journey times (in brackets) are approximate: Auckland (2 hours), Taupo (1.5 hours), Rotorua (45 minutes), Hamilton (45 minutes), Waitomo (1.5 hours), Tauranga (45 minutes). As part of your guided tour, a bus will take you from the Shire’s Rest car park to the attraction (approximate 5-10 minute journey), as no cars are allowed on the property.Open in Google Maps ⟶
What to bring
- Passport or ID card
Know before you go
- Construction on the Set: A major and very exciting development project will be underway on the movie set until December 2023. Please visit the official website for detailed information on how this construction could impact your experience.
- This is a guided walking tour and sensible footwear is recommended
- The only way to access the Hobbiton Movie Set is with a guided tour
- Tours operate in all weather conditions; umbrellas are provided in the event of rain
- There is uneven terrain on the set; approximately 50% is wheelchair accessible, however alternative options are available but must be booked in advance.