Experience the magic of a guided Hobbiton Movie Set tour. Immerse yourself in the sights, smells, sounds and tastes of the Shire as featured in the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit trilogies.
About this activity
- Free cancellation
- Cancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
- Reserve now & pay later
- Keep your travel plans flexible—book your spot and pay nothing today.
- Covid-19 precautions
- Special health and safety measures apply. Learn more
- Duration 2 hours
- Check availability to see starting times.
- Live tour guide
- Wheelchair accessible
Select participants and date
Hobbiton Movie Set is located a little southeast of Hamilton in a small town called Matamata. Free parking is available on site. If you are driving from Matamata, it’s about a 20-minute drive to the Shire’s Rest Cafe on Buckland Road. Journey times (in brackets) are approximate: Auckland (2 hours), Taupo (1.5 hours), Rotorua (45 minutes), Hamilton (45 minutes), Waitomo (1.5 hours), Tauranga (45 minutes). As part of your guided tour, a bus will take you from the Shire’s Rest car park to the attraction (approximate 5-10 minute journey), as no cars are allowed on the property.Open in Google Maps ⟶
Know before you go
- This is a guided walking tour and sensible footwear is recommended
- The only way to access the Hobbiton Movie Set is with a guided tour
- Tours operate in all weather conditions; umbrellas are provided in the event of rain
- There is uneven terrain on the set; approximately 50% is wheelchair accessible, however alternative options are available
- The Hobbiton Movie Set Tour inclusive of transfers from Rotorua is available for purchase separately on GetYourGuide