Crete: Foodies' Feast of Heraklion Small Group Tour
From $105 per personBook now
- Experience real Cretan food at 8 authentic stops away from the tourist crowds
- Become a cheese–tasting expert by learning how to spot the best local cheeses
- Savor Heraklion’s bougatsa, a 'must-taste' for any visitor
- Enjoy a glass of local wine and learn the process from harvest to bottle
- Learn about Greek coffee and see it brewed the traditional way
Start your Heraklion tour with a traditional Greek coffee, also known as ellinikós kafés. Drinking coffee is a daily ritual in Greece, and as we sip our freshly brewed dark liquid, you’ll learn all about the history of coffee in the country. At your next stop, you’ll savor Heraklion’s famous bougatsa, a must-taste for any visitor to the city. Bougatsa is a pastry consisting of semolina custard, cheese, or minced meat filling between layers of phyllo. Best of all, you’re going to taste the best ones in town, as the owners of this spot have been mastering their bougatsa technique since 1922!
Leaving the historical center, you then visit a local market to chat with vendors and learn about their products. You’ll get to sample olives, rusks, and cheese — and you even learn how to maximize your enjoyment and appreciation of cheese (yes, it is possible to love it even more than you already do). And of course, no food tour of Crete would be complete without tasting the island’s famous olive oil. After all these tastings, you then sit down for a local meat dish — or if you’re brave enough for fried snails, you can sample a dish that’s loved by most locals! You then finish up our Heraklion food tour by trying some local wines from a family-run shop. Wine has a long history on Crete, having been made on the island since the Bronze Age.
- Local English-speaking guide
- Food and beverage samples (coffee, rusks, olives, cheese, pastries, traditional sweets, local wine/spirit tasting, meats)
- Additional food and drinks
- Items of a personal nature
- Tips/gratuities for your guide
Eleftherias Square, in the city centre. Eleftherias Square is the main square in Heraklion, near the Archaeological Museum, the Astoria Hotel, the Prefecture, and the Gate of Saint George. Your guide will be holding a Crete Urban Adventures sign.
• This is a child-friendly tour.
• This tour can be customized to cater for dietary needs at your request. Please notify if you have any allergies or other dietary requests when you book. You can do this in the “Additional information” box at checkout.
Product ID: 69921