Depart from Guatemala City for the village of Chichicastenango on a day tour. See ancient Indian rituals at Santo Tomás Church and enjoy the picturesque outdoor market. Then take in the view of Lake Atitlán in Panajachel and its 3 surrounding volcanoes.
What to Expect
Explore the Western Highlands, the region of Guatemala that most travelers familiar with Guatemala think about when daydreaming about a trip to this country. The region is home to quaint and colorful mountain villages, highland lakes, pine forests, and the majority of Guatemala’s indigenous peoples.
Arrive at Chichicastenango Market and begin your walking tour inside the market. It is the center of the town and heart of commercial life for the maxeños. The merchants go down to the central plaza every Thursday and Sunday to sell their products in this impressive indigenous market that has changed very little throughout the centuries. Explore the pathways of the market and view the colorful handicrafts and produce offered by the local people of the region.
In Chichicastenango, we will also visit Santo Tomás Church, built in 1540 over the base of an archaeological pre-Hispanic temple. This church is a splendid example of colonial architecture, as the Mayan and Latino influence is mixed throughout both the interior and exterior of the building.
You will have some free time for lunch (not included). Then, continue to the town of Panajachel, which sits on Lake Atitlan, where you will have time to explore. Visit Santander Street and enjoy a spectacular view of Lake Atitlan, considered one of the most beautiful lakes in the world. Three spectacular volcanoes, Tolimán, Atitlán and San Pedro form the natural frame of the lake itself. It has a surface of 125 square kilometers and sits 1,560 meters above sea level.
- Round-trip hotel transfers from Guatemala City or Antigua
- Bilingual guide (English and Spanish)
What's Not Included
- Food and beverages
- Optional gratuities
Know Before You Go
• Walking shoes, hat, sunglasses, and a camera are recommended.
• Minimum of 2 passengers (adults) is required for the tour to run. If the minimum size is not reached, the tour is subject to cancelation and all tickets are refunded or rescheduled.
• Tours include bilingual guide (English and Spanish).
• Please get in contact if you need a guide in any other language. French, German, and Italian are subject to additional costs and guide availability.