Enjoy a private small-group tour to the British city of Gibraltar and its wild barbary ape primates (the ones that exist in Europe). Enjoy a visit to the Archeological Park of Baelo Claudia in Bolonia, one of the five most beautiful beaches in Spain.
What to Expect
Gibraltar is a British overseas territory under United Kingdom administration, nevertheless, Spain continues to claim sovereignty over the territory. The Gibraltar macaque (also known as "Barbary ape") was probably introduced by the Arabs from North Africa, and is the only wild primate that exists in Europe. Although they are free to move throughout the country, they're usually found in the limestone Rock area of Gibraltar by the coast. Superstition says that if the monkeys leave the Rock, so will the British, so they are maintained by the local government.
Bolonia beach is considered one of the five most beautiful beaches in Spain, and its main attraction is its dune. At over 30 metres high and 200 metres wide, Bolonia's dune is a really impressive site. Located in the Bolonia Inlet, within the Estrecho Nature Park, this is one of the most unspoilt areas of the Cadiz coast, and a natural habitat with stunning scenery. The area is described as "barjanal", on account of its half-moon-shaped dunes set perpendicular to the wind, with uneven slopes. It's one of the few transgressive systems in Andalusia. This means that the sea level rises relative to the land and the shoreline moves toward higher ground, resulting in flooding. Under the force of the easterly wind, it moves towards the ecologically important replanted groves of stone pine and scrub.
From the Bolonia-Faro Camarinal Trail you can see the broad beach of fine, golden sand, unspoilt and popular with surfers. You can also see the lighthouse with its giants' kettles (cauldron like holes in the rocks) and the Baelo Claudia archaeological site.
Gibraltar was an important Roman city, and preserves its old town-factory, designated as a National Historic Monument. The ancient Roman city of Baelo Claudia is located in the Ensenada de Bolonia, about 22 km northwest of the town of Tarifa in Cadiz. Gibraltar was a major economic center in the Mediterranean.
- Hotel pick-up and drop off (selected hotels only: (Cádiz, Jerez, Chiclana, El Puerto de Santa María, Rota)
- Round-trip private transfer
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Private tour
- Entrance to Peñón of Gibraltar to see the Monkey
- Entrance to Archeological Park of Baelo Claudia in Bolonia
- Civil Liability and Accident Insurance
What's Not Included
- Extra Expenses
- Any other services not specified above
Know Before You Go
• May be operated by a multi-lingual guide
• A minimum of 4 adults per booking is required
• It is mandatory to present ID (European) or Passport (Non-European) to enter the territory of Gibraltar. See if you need a visa to enter Gibraltar here: http://www.visitgibraltar.gi/get-there-visa
• Take swimming gear
• Wear comfortable shoes and a hat
• Bring water, snacks, sunscreen