Travel from El Calafate to El Chalten for an unforgettable full-day trekking adventure on Viedma Glacier. Journey along the famous Route 40, enjoy a boat trip in front of the glacier on Viedma Lake, and admire the stunning views of Mount Fitz Roy.
What to Expect
Your day starts at 7:30 as you depart from El Calafate and head along the famous Route 40. This iconic highway goes along the Argentino Lake up to the La Leona River. Passing the Cañadón La Leona you arrive to the ancient route hotel "La Leona". It is here that you take a break to enjoy coffee and cakes.
Once the break is over you continue along Lake Viedma, where you can take in the magical views of glaciers, hidden lakes, and the glory that is Mount Fitz Roy. After several photos stops you will then arrive to the Andean village of El Chalten, also known as the “the capital of trekking”. As soon as you arrive you will briefly visit the Interpretation Centre and then the group will be divided according their chosen option at the base – the Pudu Lodge.
You will be provided with ground transportation to the Port of Bahia Tunnel. Here you will sail along Viedma Lake to the beautiful Viedma Glacier, the largest glacier in the national park. Upon arrival at the glacier you begin the trek, spending about 2.5 hours exploring the ice, its crevasses, and caves. You will be accompanied by an expert mountain guide certified by the Argentine Association of Mountain Guides and the Administration of National Parks.
- Roundtrip transportation from hotels in El Calafate
- Professional English/Spanish-speaking tour guide
- Visit to El Chalten Interpretation Centre
- 1.5-hour boat trip on Viedma lake
- 2.5-hour trek on the ice
- Crampons rental
What's Not Included
- Coffee break at La Leona
- Lunch box
Know Before You Go
• Hiking shoes, lunch box, bottle of water, sunglasses, and sunblock are recommended.
• Please provide the names of all passengers, passport number, nationality, and date of birth.
• Children under 12 are not allowed on this tour.
• No penalty for cancellations made at least 16 days before the tour date. A 30% penalty applies for cancellations made 9-15 days before the tour date. A 100% penalty applies for cancellations made 8 days before the tour date.
• This tour is recommended for travelers in a good physical condition. The difficulty level is moderate. This tour is aimed at people who have are in normal/good shape, and can walk normally on irregular terrain.