Experience the dramatic landscapes of Patagonia by 4WD vehicle and on foot on a tour from El Calafate. Drive across terrain that was covered by glaciers until recently. Trek to the Mirador Upsala for panoramic views of the lake, mountains and glaciers.
What to Expect
Following pick-up from your hotel in El Calafate, drive by 4WD vehicle across a landscape that was until recently covered by glaciers.
Head to the continental ice shelter in Los Glaciares National Park and embark on a walk of approximately 20 minutes to the Mirador Upsala. Get spectacular views of Lago Argentino and the William and Eastern front of the Upsala Glacier from the lookout point.
Marvel at the glacier mountains of Cerros Murallón and Cerro Don Bosco on the edge of the Southern Patagonian Ice Field. Continue to Fossil Canyon, where a high concentration of fossil remains of the last marine ingression have been exposed by glacial action.
Descend into the valley where the famous former sheep ranch of Estancia Cristina is located. Now a comfortable lodge with 20 rooms in 5 separate cabins, Estancia Cristina overlooks the dramatic mountains and hanging glaciers of North Cerros, Pfifter and Moyano.
What's Not Included
- Food and beverages
Know Before You Go
• Due to the demanding terrain and uneven ground, this trek is only suitable for people in good physical health. If the coordinator determines that you are not physically able, the trek cannot be modified and refunds cannot be claimed
• The altitude is 550 meters above sea level
• Lunch will be in the ravine during the trek. Please provide your own lunch box
• The minimum age for this activity is 12 years old
• The climate in southern Patagonia can change radically several times a day. In summer, the average temperature is 18 degrees (17 hours of daylight). In winter, it is 2 degrees (8 hours of daylight). Appropriate clothing is essential. Bring warm and waterproof clothes and dress in layers. Bring gloves, a hat, waterproof jacket, comfortable and warm shoes and a scarf. Good trekking boots that protect the ankles from the rocky terrain are advised. Bring solar glasses to protect against the intense reflection of the glacier and lake. A good sunscreen is also recommended