Sail among the icebergs of the Upsala Glacier on a full-day adventure from El Calafate. Experience the drama of an epic Patagonian landscape as you cross Lago Argentino to the Estancia Cristina. Take a guided trek to the Caterina River.
What to Expect
Depart El Calafate and journey towards the Upsala Glacier in Los Glaciares National Park, where you will cruise across Lago Argentino to get closer to icebergs and snow-capped mountains en route to an historic sheep ranch.
Board the boat at Punta Bandera at 08:15 and journey by modern, comfortable boat among the icebergs and stunning scenery overlooking the western front of Upsala Glacier. Then, navigate the Cristina Canal to the disembarkation point for your visit to Estancia Christina. Arrive at the former ranch at 11:30 and get 6 hours to explore in full. The full program offers alternatives for those who want a quiet day of touring and history and for those who want to take part in adventure activities such as trekking and drives by 4WD vehicle.
Take a guided walk to the Caterina River and chapel and enjoy a tour of the estancia. Founded in 1914 by Joseph Percival Masters, who came to Patagonia from England with his wife in 1900, the ranch is now a comfortable lodge with 20 rooms in 5 separate cabins. Take in the dramatic views of the surrounding Andes mountains and get in touch with a unique and remote natural environment full of the history and lifestyle of the pioneers and explorers of the past.
Return to the boat at 17:30 and cruise back to Punta Bandera by approximately 19:00.
- Hotel pick-up and transfer to Punta Banderas
- Transfers in and out of Punta Banderas
- Visit to Upsala Glacier
- Visit to Estancia Cristina
- Entrance fee to Los Glaciares National Park
- Hotel drop off
Cancel up to 1 day in advance for a full refund
Know Before You Go
• Please note that the weather can change radically several times a day in southern Patagonia. Bring appropriate clothing such as an athletic, comfortable fleece-type jacket, windbreaker jacket, sunglasses, sunscreen, gloves, a hat and scarf. Bring trekking boots for the trekking activity
• The program does not include lunch. You are advised to arrange a lunch box from your hotel in El Calafate