Explore Edinburgh’s hidden history beneath the Royal Mile on a fully-guided tour of the Real Mary King's Close. Discover what it was really like for the people who lived, worked, and died on the Close.
About this activity
- Free cancellation
- Cancel up to 24 hours in advance for a full refund
- Reserve now & pay later
- Keep your travel plans flexible — book your spot and pay nothing today.
- Duration 1 hour
- Check availability to see starting times.
- Live tour guide
Select participants and date
2 Warriston's Close, Royal Mile, High Street, Edinburgh EH1 1PG.Open in Google Maps ⟶
- Unaccompanied minors
Know before you go
- The Real Mary King's Close is unsuitable for wheelchair access
- Due to uneven surfaces and some steep inclines, sturdy footwear is recommended
- There are 58 steps to climb down and 38 to climb up as part of the tour
- Many areas are dimly lit, and some visitors may experience disorientation or claustrophobia
- Due to the site’s underground nature, visitors with asthma are advised to bring any medication/inhalers
- For health and safety reasons, children under 5 years old cannot be admitted. Children under 16 years old should be accompanied by an adult
- Visitors under the influence of alcohol will not be permitted
- Tour guides are equipped with a radio, so any visitor needing to leave may do so under escort from the duty manager
- No photography is permitted during the tour