Durban: Boat-Based Whale Watching Experience
- Marvel at humpback whales in their natural habitat
- See these gigantic mammals play and swim on their arduous migratory trek
- Learn about the life, behavior, and characteristics of the whales with a qualified guide
- Discover other local marine life, such as dolphins, fish, and birds
After greeting your guide at the meeting point, board your 11-passenger semi-rigid inflatable boat, registered with SAMSA as a suitable Whale and Dolphin Watching boat since 2012 and holder of one of the limited whale watching permits in Durban. Head out onto the deep blue ocean toward the Mozambican current, and enjoy the views from your front-facing seats with the skipper/crew behind you.
From June to November every year, look out for the spectacular breaches of the whales above the water as they travel on their migratory route from the Southern Oceans to warmer tropical waters for mating and giving birth, and on their return toward the nutrient-rich waters of Antarctica. If you're lucky, delight in the mesmerizing experience of a mother feeding or playing with her calf, or older calves jumping and teasing one another, seeking the attention of the adults.
As well as whales, this tour offers the opportunity to watch dolphins frolicking in the swells and, on occasion, see turtles come out of the awesome clear depths to feed on what's on the surface. Marvel at the local wildlife big and small, from birds and fish to the enormous humpback whales themselves, which reach approximately 15 meters (49 feet) in length and weigh about 30 tons.
- 2-hour whale watching boat trip
- Fully qualified guide
- Food and drinks
- Pregnant women
- People with mobility impairments
Prepare for the activity
The local partner's office is located on the Wilson's Wharf Marina, at the Casadena Spur end of the complex. The address is 14 Boatmans Rd, Harbour, Durban, 4001, South Africa. Please arrive at the meeting point 15 minutes before the activity starts.Open in Google Maps ⟶
- Passport or ID card
• The Rigid Inflatable Boat is the most suitable for a comfortable whale watching experience
• Swimming with the animals is not permitted
• No food is provided aboard but you can take some snacks along. There is a restaurant where you can purchase food and a big selection of restaurants to choose from at the end of the excursion
• A bottle of water is advisable
• If you are prone to getting motion sickness, it's advisable to take tablets for it a day in advance
• Take your own camera and hat with sunscreen on warmer days
• Please arrive at the meeting point 15 minutes before the activity starts