Experience Plymouth's historic maritime heritage and world class waterfront, including the Barbican, Plymouth Hoe and Royal William Yard before your choice of the Plymouth Gin distillery, cruising on Plymouth Sound, or going on board a Nuclear submarine.
What to Expect
This tour is for a maximum of 6 people in a luxury Land Rover Discovery. You will be collected from your hotel by your local guide, and you will journey to Plymouth where you will step on to the world famous Plymouth Hoe with its panoramic views and stunning historical significance. Hear about Drake and the Armada, see Smeatons Tower the iconic lighthouse which once stood on the fearsome Eddystone reef 14 miles offshore as well as numerous other tales of this great seafaring City.
You then arrive at the Barbican visiting the Mayflower Steps and museum, seeing the Elizabethan House and visiting the place where it is said the Pilgrim fathers had their last meal before setting out for the new world in 1620. Next your guide will drive you to the historic Royal William Yard, the stunning collection of grade one listed buildings that used to supply the provisions for the Royal Navy. A short walk visits places of real historic significance, including the spot where a voyage once left which changed our whole understanding of the world around. Lunch at one of the many excellent eateries at the RWY(not included).
You've got a fantastic choice for the afternoon. (subject to availability included in the price). Choose from the following options:
• Tour of the historic Naval dockyard including a rare opportunity to go on board a decommissioned nuclear submarine
• Guided tour of the Plymouth Gin Distillery, one of the oldest in the world
• Visit of the historic Mount Edgcumbe with its grade one listed landscape and centuries of history
• Sightseeing trip on Plymouth Sound, viewing the City from the sea, and seeing the modern day fleet at the Devonport Royal Naval Base
Afterwards, depending on time and hotel location there may be a chance to visit some other significant sites, before returning to your hotel.
- Entry fees for up to 6 people to Smeatons Tower
- Afternoon activity choices for up to 6 people
What's Not Included
- Meals and refreshments
- Tips and gratuities
Know Before You Go
• The Plymouth Gin tour is for those aged 18 or over only.
• Smeaton's Tower has 93 steps and a couple of ladders if you want to reach the lantern House.
• Devonport Naval base tour requires 10 days notice from Foreign nationals, and 5 days for UK citizens. ID will be required.(this element unavailable until Feb 2016)