A combination of food and drink with incredible architecture, fascinating historical stories of turn-of-the-century Chicago, and visual scavenger hunts and clue-based games.
What to Expect
This very special walking tour digs into how and why the 1893 World's Fair captures our imaginations more than any other event in Chicago history. Unlike other World's Fair tours and "Devil in the White City" tours, which likely revolve around facts and trivia, we dig deeper. We dug through archives, studied photographs, and designed games to devise a fun and insightful walking tour.
This walking tour is much more than just a tour! The food and beer on our tour connect with stories of the 1893 World's Fair. With just intermittent walks outside, the 1893 World's Fair Tour makes for a great walking tour this winter and spring.
We did serious sleuthing to create a downtown tour of the few remaining buildings from the time of the World's Fair. People think that you have to go south of downtown to understand the history of the World's Fair, but it's impact on the architecture and landscape of downtown Chicago is still visible today.
Tours that identify distinctly as "food tours" have guests eat a ton of food. On our walking tour we will eat a pleasant amount that can comprise a light meal.
Think of this 3-hour-long walking tour as broken up as 5% outdoors, 95% indoors, 20% clue-based games and visual scavenger hunts, 20% food and drink time, and 100% awesome historical tour time. We know the math doesn't add up - we hope you get the idea!
Walking distance: 0.9 miles
- Shared iPads with historic photos
- Food tastings (enough to comprise a light meal)
- Games, with prizes and gifts
What's Not Included
- Additional drink (at the last bar you can purchase a beer, wine, or cocktail of your choice)
- Beer or Wine Package: At check-in, guests have two choices
- 1. Water ($3 CASH per person) - Covers server gratuities
- 2. Beer package ($11 CASH per person) - 1 full-size beer + 2 sample-size beers
- 3. Wine package ($11 CASH per person) - 1 glass of wine + 1 sample-size glass
- THESE FEES INCLUDE OUR RATHER HIGH CHICAGO RESTAURANT TAXES AND SERVER GRATUITY.
Meet inside the main lobby of the Congress Plaza Hotel, 520 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60605.