Interact with elephants on an 8-hour safari from Chiang Mai to the Maetaman Elephant Camp. Visit an orchid nursery and butterfly farm, ride elephant back through the lush jungle, followed by an ox-cart ride and bamboo raft down the Mae Taeng River.
What to Expect
Experience the beauty of Northern Thailand on a full-day elephant safari at a privately owned elephant camp just 1-hour from Chiang Mai.
Your first stop will be a beautiful orchid nursery and neighboring butterfly farm in the Mae Rim District. Continue through the hilly forests just north of the city center to see the elephants and their mahouts (handlers) at work at the Maetaman Camp, stunningly located behind the hills.
Here, you will journey through the forest on the back of the gentle giants of the jungle, crossing a river to get up-close-and-personal with the lush tropical environment.
Next, ride by ox-drawn cart to experience another traditional means of transportation, traveling at a leisurely pace past rural villages. Get an intimate insight into how the villagers live in remote regions.
Lunch will be provided before a 3-mile (5-kilometer) bamboo raft along the Mae Taeng River. Cruise at a gentle pace through the mountains and forests en route to the raft station, where a transfer will be waiting to take you back to Chiang Mai.
- Transportation from Chiang Mai
- English-speaking guide (guides in other languages, including German, French, or Russian available on request and subject to a surcharge)
- Entrance fees
- Meals as specified
What's Not Included
- Services other than those mentioned
- Tips and personal expenses
Know Before You Go
• During some parts of the rainy season, this tour may not be operational subject to high water levels
• Children's rates apply to children under 12 only and accompanied with a minimum of 2 full-paying adults.