Street Stories of Chania: 4-Hour Walking Tour
From $59 per personBook now
- Wander through a 100-year-old market selling local products
- See local artisans at work, and try your own skills in their workshops
- Visit the Ottoman neighborhood and Jewish quarter and explore corners not found in guidebooks
- Sip raki and snack on mezedes in one of the city’s historic neighborhoods
Discover what makes Crete’s cultural capital so magical, on this relaxed half-day walking tour of Chania. Take in the top sights, from the old town to the lesser-known Ottoman and Jewish quarters, and into the chic Halepa neighborhood.
Start your Chania tour at the Dimotiki agora, or municipal market, which stands between the old and new towns. Built between 1908 and 1913 (the year that Crete was united with Greece), the agora features more than 70 shops selling mostly regional products. Explore the market and sample local delicacies while learning about the deliciously healthy Cretan diet.
Continue your walk into the old town, down narrow lanes and hidden back streets, and discover secret gardens, and Venetian and Ottoman monuments. Hear about empires, sailors, traders, lovers, heroes, and artists. Learn how this city has been a crossroads between the East and West for centuries.
Next you’ll have the unique opportunity to see local artisans crafting their products and maybe even try your own skills! Visit the Jewish and Ottoman neighborhoods, and learn how life has changed over the years in this multicultural city.
Walk along the waterfront in one of Chania’s historic neighborhoods and sit down to a table of inviting mezedes (local dishes). Your Crete tour will either end here or the guide can take you back to the starting point.
With so many suggestions and tips from your local guide, you’ll have plenty of choices of what to do next!
- Local English-speaking guide
- Coffee or a soft drink
- Sampling of local products and beverages
- Additional food and drinks
- Souvenirs and items of a personal nature
- Tips/gratuities for your guide
Chania municipal market. The public market is located in the city center, on the central market square. Your guide will be standing outside, on the left. (Open in Google Maps)
• This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour. Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge. Please inform at the time of booking if you’ll be bringing a child under the age of 6 years
Product ID: 58869