Crete: Stargazing Tour with DinnerProduct ID: 72705
From $142 per personBook now
- Learn how ancient Greeks used the stars for mythology and to predict upcoming seasons
- Explore the night sky with telescopes while your resident astronomer points out different constellations and planets
- Indulge in mouthwatering ancient recipes slow cooked in traditional Minoan ceramic pots
- Visit a local organisation that’s helping small, independent businesses to become more sustainable
- See 30% of your tour costs supporting small-scale rural businesses in local communities
Meet just after sunset at the European Sustainability Academy, a training center that helps local businesses to be more environmentally responsible. It’s also the first facility of its kind in Europe, located in the lovely Drapanos village in the Apokoronas region in Chania. Drapanos also just happens to offer some of the best viewing conditions on Crete.
Once you arrive, sip on a local organic wine and look to the sky. Your host will explain what you are seeing when you look at the stars, what a constellation is, how to recognize them, and how to read a sky map. You’ll learn about the ancient cultures that used the stars in their mythologies, and how the night sky would be read to predict upcoming seasons.
Your intergalactic experience will end with a mouthwatering dinner under the stars, slow cooked in ceramic pots just as Cretans did in ancient times. You dig into authentic Cretan dishes (both meat and vegetarian options) featuring locally farmed products, as you discuss ancient Greek mythology and its connection to the sky above (after all, most of the constellations with which you are familiar come from ancient Greece!). Finish it all up with a delicious dessert before leading you back to your hotel.
- Local English-speaking guide
- Transportation to/from the venue
- 3-course dinner
- Glass of wine (fresh orange juice for children)
- Additional food and drinks
- Souvenirs or personal shopping
- Tips/gratuities for your driver and guide
Chania Municipal Market (the public market is located at the center of the city, on Central Market Square). Your guide will be standing outside, on the left. (Open in Google Maps)
• For your tour you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people.
• This is a child-friendly tour.
Product ID: 72705