From Caye Caulker: Day Trip to ATM Actun Tunichil Muknal
- Discover the artifacts, pottery, and skeletal remains inside the cave
- Embark on a jungle hike which includes river crossings
- Step outside of your comfort zone and experience Maya history and culture
The cave is located in an area known as the Mountain Tapir Reserve about one hour and 15 minutes from Belize City. Upon disembarking from the water taxi, drive off road for a seven-mile trip into the jungle to begin your jungle hike. The hike is approximately 45 minutes and includes crossing the river at several points.
The entrance to the cave is through 12 feet of water; you can swim this distance or be towed across the short entrance. After making it through, enter an astonishingly large main chamber. The cave houses various types of artifacts from ceramics and stoneware to the remains of skeletons. The Mayas consider Actun Tunichil Muknal a highly sacred location and the resting place of the famous "Crystal Maiden," who was thought to be a victim of sacrifice.
Following decades of weathering and natural processes, the surface of her skeleton appears to be covered with a geological sanded finish, which gives the maiden a somewhat magical fairy-dust appearance. After exploring the cave, exit the way you came in and journey back to Caye Caulker and then to Belize via water taxi.
- Spanish- and English-speaking guide
- Water taxi transfers between Caye Caulker and Belize City
- Helmet, headlamp, and life jacket
- Transportation in an air-conditioned vehicle
- Lunch with beverage
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Park entry fee, payable in cash (US$15 per person)
- Pregnant women
- People with mobility impairments
Prepare for the activity
Please arrive at the terminal 35 minutes before your scheduled departure. Present your confirmation number at San Pedro Express Water Taxi Terminal counter and take the water taxi to Belize; upon disembarkation, meet the representative who will be holding a sign with your name on it.Open in Google Maps ⟶
- Passport or ID card
- Comfortable shoes
- Comfortable clothes
- Open-toed shoes