This socially responsible half-day cycle tour shows you the side of South Africa that escapes the tourist brochures. Learn about the lives and customs of the resilient residents of the seaside township of Masiphumelele.
What to Expect
This socially responsible cycle tour allows guests to experience a side of South Africa that escapes most tourist brochures. On this half-day cycle tour you will learn about the lives and customs of the 50,000 remarkable people who live in the township of Masiphumelele.
On this tour you will enjoy the guidance and insights of a local guide. You will first make your way down towards the sweeping expanse of Noordhoek beach, a delightful seaside village, before moving on towards Masiphumelele. Masiphumelele is a shantytown of 50,000 inhabitants, most of whom are unemployed and live in poor conditions. Despite the hardships the people of this sprawling shantytown deal with day-in and day-out, Masiphumelele means "We will succeed" in Xhosa. You will find that the inhabitants are friendly and welcoming, proud to show you their unique way of life.
While in Masiphumelele you will have the opportunity to visit a preschool and the local library, as well as the house of a Sangoma, traditional healer. You will even sample authentic African cuisine.
Not only does this uplifting tour give an insight into the lives of many South Africans, it also makes an important contribution to the community.
- State-of-the-art mountain bike and necessary equipment including handle-bar bag, helmet and water bottle
- Gourmet picnic or lunch
- Samples of authentic African cuisine
- Fees to parks, toll roads and botanical gardens
What's Not Included
- Tour fee of 99€ per person (inclusive of Value Added Tax)
- Special bicycle equipment such as toe-clips or other customizations
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off (can be arranged for a fee upon request)
You will meet outside to the right of the main entrance to the Cape Grace Hotel at West Quay Road, in the heart of the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront. Departure times are not flexible.
What to Remember
• Tour offered daily all year at 13:00.
• Bike and Saddle reserves the right to alter or amend rates and trip details at any time.
• Cancellations must be received prior to 12:00 the previous day of the tour. The full tour fee will be refunded. For cancellations made beyond the cut-off time, you will be charged the full tour fee. No exceptions.
• Cancellations must be made in writing and any cancellation request is deemed received by Bike & Saddle only when confirmed in writing by Bike and Saddle.
• Bike and Saddle cannot be held responsible for any loss or damage to the property or possessions of guests.