On this tour you will visit different townships and the prison Mandela was incarcerated, giving you an overview of Mandela´s struggle against Apartheid and its effects. It will also disclose how those affected continue to struggle for a better life today.
About this activity
- Free cancellation
- Cancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
- COVID-19 precautions
- Special health and safety measures apply. Learn more
- Mobile ticketing
- Use your phone or print your voucher
- Duration 8 hours
- Check availability to see starting times.
- Ticket confirmation within 48 hours
- Once purchased, you’ll receive booking confirmation from the tour operator.
- Live tour guide
- Wheelchair accessible
- 30.0 minutes
V&A Waterfront (lunch)
- Visit the most important Townships of Cape Town
- See Robben Island Prison where Mandela was incarcerated for 18 of his 27 years in prison
- Walk through the Township of Langa
- Visit the Gugulethu Seven Memorial
- See the Amy Biehl Memorial in the Gugulethu Township
- Walk the streets, meet and greet the people and hear the sound of children play in the Townships
- Ferry ride to and from Robben Island
- A full day historical and cultural tour forcusing on the struggle against Apartheid and the effects of it
- Vehicle and driver guide
- Return Ferry tickets to Robben Island
- Guided tour of Robben Island
- A visit to Nelson Mandela's cell
- Passenger liability insurance cover
- Return transfer to hotel at the end of the tour
- All areas that customers touch are frequently cleaned
- Customers must keep distance in vehicles
- The number of visitors is limited to reduce crowds
- Customers are required to bring and wear masks
Select participants and date
Prepare for the activity
What to bring
- Passport or ID card
- Luggage or large bags
Know before you go
- Please note some venues may not be available over weekends. Robben Island tickets are subject to availability.
- Please provide the passport or ID number for all participants to complete the booking. South African citizen need not worry about providing a passport number but must provide ID number and date of birth.
- All passengers must then bring this identification document with them on the tour (passport, birth certificate or drivers licence). Copies are accepted.
- Tickets for the ferry to Robben Island are subject to weather conditions and availability. Every attempt will be made to book you on the 13:00 ferry, but if it is not available you will be booked on the 15:00 or 17:00 ferry. In this case you will be dropped off at your hotel and asked to make your way to the harbor at the right time.
- Rescheduling the tour date is possible, but subject to availability. If available, tickets can be rescheduled but a penalty fee of 65 ZAR per ticket will have to be paid in cash on the spot.