This popular tour is an adventurous, yet relaxed and affordable way to explore South Africa’s Garden Route. Enjoy six-days of visiting the area’s key landmarks, exploring nature, learning about the region’s culture and taking part in daring activities.
What to Expect
Day 1: Cape Town – Hermanus – Cape Agulhas
The tour departs from Cape Town/Stellenbosch and heads to Hermanus. The tour follows the scenic coastal road and includes a stop at Betty's Bay to see a colony of endangered African penguins. Spend the afternoon in the seaside resort town of Hermanus, famous for playing home to hundreds of Southern Right whales from July to November. The town also features many shops, restaurants, and markets. In the afternoon you'll drive on to Cape Agulhas, the southernmost tip of Africa, where you'll see the point where the Indian and Atlantic Oceans meet.
Day 2: Cape Agulhas – Oudtshoorn
You'll travel to Oudtshoorn in the Little Karoo, known as the ostrich capital of the world, via scenic Route 62, South Africa’s longest wine route. Experience the subterranean beauty of the Cango Caves on a guided tour, followed by a sampling of local wines.
Day 3: Oudtshoorn – Knysna – Sedgefield
After breakfast you'll head over to Outeniqua Mountain Pass, where you'll explore Wilderness National Park by canoe. Enjoy an easy paddle up the Touw River through the indigenous forest, admiring the diverse local birds along the way. After about 40 minutes, you'll leave your canoe behind for a 2-kilometer hike along a boardwalk that leads to rock pools and a lovely waterfall. Afterwards, you'll head to the famous town of Knysna via the beautiful Garden Route Lake District. This small, upscale town is filled with curios and restaurants, and also features a waterfront where you can grab lunch and do some shopping. After leaving Knysna, you'll head to the Knysna Heads viewing point to enjoy views of the Knysna River estuary and the Indian Ocean. You'll spend the late afternoon exploring the beaches of Sedgefield .
Day 4: Sedgefield- Tsitsikamma - Addo
After breakfast, head off to Tsitsikamma National Park. En route, you'll stop at Bloukrans Bridge, the world’s tallest bungee jump bridge, standing at 216 meters tall. You'll spend the afternoon in Tsitsikamma National Park, which features a unique combination of indigenous forest and beautiful Indian Ocean coastline. The park has a wide range of activities on offer, including hikes of varying lengths, a walk across a suspension bridge, and swimming. In the late afternoon, you'll the depart the Garden Route for Addo.
Day 5: Addo – Wilderness
You'll spend the morning exploring Addo Elephant National Park. You'll get up to 2-3 hours to roam the 28,000-hectare national reserve, home to approximately 600 elephants and various other animals, including cape buffalo, lions, black rhinos, warthogs, zebras, elands, kudus, hartebeest, and many more. After an exciting morning of wildlife watching, you'll drive back to the heart of the Garden Route and enjoy sundowner cocktails while taking in the Wilderness Beach.
Day 6: Wilderness –Mossel Bay - Cape Town
After enjoying breakfast at the popular George Farmer's Market, you'll stop in Mossel Bay to spend some time on the gorgeous beaches, hike the Cape St. Blaize trail along cliffs overlooking the Indian Ocean, and visit the famous Diaz Museum complex, which commemorates the first known European exploration around the tip of Africa. You'll return to Cape Town/Stellenbosch in the early evening.
- Air-conditioned transport throughout
- 5 nights' accommodation – backpacker and guesthouse options available
- Dinners and breakfasts, except on Day 5
- Local wine tasting
- Cango Caves adventure tour
- Canoeing and hiking in Wilderness National Park
- Wilderness viewing safari in Addo Elephant National Park
- Hiking in Tsitsikamma National Park
What's Not Included
- Optional activities – bungee jumping, tandem skydiving, treetop canopy tour, Tsitsikamma black water tubing, sand boarding, Knysna elephant park, seasonal whale and dolphin watching, shark cage diving, open vehicle Addo tour, ostrich show farm
- Meals on Day 5
Know Before You Go
• Tour departs every Monday, all year round
• This is an active tour. It is best suited towards those who like to be on the move, and can comfortably walk, carry luggage, and get in and out of the vehicle frequently.
• Tour fee varies by accommodation type
• Those who selected the shark cage diving option will be picked up very early in the morning on day 1 by the diving operator, and will miss the first half of day 1