Half-Day Tour Through Cape Town's Townships
From $39 per personBook now
Pick-up servicePlease give us the name and street address of your accommodation when making a booking.
- Enjoy a personally guided tour of Cape Town's Townships
- Experience a walking tour of District Six
- You will be invited into a school, local home and community garden in Langa -- the oldest of the South Africa Townships
- Stop at Bonteheuwel and Gugulethu
- See the Guglethu Seven Memorial bring the dead back to life
- Visit the Amy Bichel Memorial to honor the nation's struggles against violence
Our half-day tour begins with an insightful visit to District Six. This former inner-city residential area is best known for its forceful removal of over 60,000 inhabitants during the 1970s Apartheid regime. Since 2003, however, a new life has been breathed into the community by former president Nelson Mandela, and you will see the benefits of this work today. During our stay in District Six, we will glimpse life in an up-close and intimate way, and Camissa's knowledge will further your pleasure.
After walking around the streets and visiting some homes and a school in District Six, we comfortably drive on to Langa, the oldest of the Townships in Cape Town. Here we have the chance to meet the residents, visit a local community garden, and stay for a cup of tea in a local family's home. With each new encounter, the experience comes to more and more to life!
After District Six, we travel on for a short visit to Bonteheuwel -- a township spawned from the residents of District Six, who were classified as “coloured.” After our stay, we depart to Gugulethu, home to some 300,000 residents today. The name derives from "igugu lethu", which translates in Xhosa as 'our pride.' You will soon discover why this Pride has helped South Africa transform out of its dark days to the vibrant communities you have witnessed during your day.
The day culminates with the chance to visit Creche, with the Gugulethu Seven Memorial and Amy Bichel Memorial. The first of these works was built to commemorate the death of seven youths fighting against Apartheid. However, you will soon discover its magic, as the light shines through the empty space, bringing all those who died back to life in a powerful way.
We end our day with a pleasant drive back to your hotel.
- Vehicle and driver guide
- Entrance fees
- Fuel and passenger liability insurance cover
Hotel pick-ups at any hotels located in the V&A Waterfront, the Atlantic Seaboard and the Central Business District (Cape Town City Centre) (Open in Google Maps)
● Our tours are for a minimum of two guests
● Guests are advised to bring small change for donations to people if they take pictures of them and for purchasing small arts and crafts in support of small businesses
Product ID: 11063