Explore the mysterious world of the Mayans both above and below the ground with a visit to Ek Balam archaeological site and a large underground river system known as “cenotes” to swim in the lagoon.
What to Expect
The ruins at Ek Balam boast some of the best preserved sculptures from the Mayan era. This archaeological site is lesser known than others in the area which makes for less crowds and a more personal hands on experience for you.
Climb the main structure, which houses an amazing tomb, thought to be that of one of Ek Balam's rulers. The entrance to the tomb is beautifully decorated and features a jaguar’s mouth entrance, complete with teeth!
At the summit you can see the top of the neighboring sites of Chichen Itzá and Coba on a clear day. Take time to admire the wall paintings, carvings and enjoy soaking up the atmosphere at this impressive site.
You will also visit the Maya Cenote Park where you will see a magical underground lagoon 260 feet (80 meters) in diameter with stunning natural formations. Daredevils can choose to dive, rappel or swing on the Tarzan vine as the rest of us cool off with a refreshing dip in the cool clear waters of the cenote.
There will be the chance to see some local artisans practicing their crafts, some of which are still carried out using ancient Mayan methods. During the tour you will be treated to a delicious Mayan buffet lunch where you can sample some traditional local dishes from ancient and modern times.
This is a great day out for anyone interested in learning and experiencing some of the Yucatan's best kept secrets.
- Round-trip air-conditioned transportation
- Certified bilingual and archaeological guides
- Lunch with soft drinks
- Entrance fee to Ek Balam & Maya Cenote Park
- Equipment for activities
- Use of towels on-site
- Use of hammocks on-site
- Use of locker on-site
What's Not Included
- Alcoholic drinks
Know Before You Go
• This excursion is not suitable for pregnant women, people with serious back, motor, physical or heart problems nor obese people and those who cannot manage moderate physical activity. Maximum weight for the optional activities is 264 pounds (120kilos) and the minimum age is 6 years old
• Wear comfortable sports shoes or secured sandals, swimsuit, biodegradable sunscreen & repellent and bring a change of clothes, towel, camera and cash for souvenirs or extras