Cruise north from Cairns, in the shelter of the Great Barrier Reef, and enjoy 4 nights of diving in the Coral Sea. Sail across the fabulous turquoise waters of the Ribbon Reefs and dive among coral gardens to see surgeon, bream, and curious shark.
What to Expect
Enjoy 4 nights of advanced diving in the Great Barrier Reef and see schools of pelagic, gardens of coral, and inquisitive shark. Sleep on board the 100-foot Spoilsport, and end your adventure with a 150-mile low-altitude flight over Endevaour Reef to see where Captain Cook ran aground.
During your 4-night tour, you will venture 75 miles beyond the Great Barrier Reef to the remote Coral Sea. Without exception guests and crew are impressed by the superb sea-going ability of Spoilsport.
To port side is historic Cooktown, and to starboard is the vastness of the Coral Sea. You will get 14 fantastic dives, including Challenger Bay, a spectacular introduction to the Great Barrier Reef. Gliding along, surrounded by schools of silver trevally, surgeon fish, and yellow striped bream, explore pristine coral gardens in excellent visibility. Here you will understand what the “Great” in Great Barrier Reef truly means.
There will be no rush or limit placed on your dive times. Spoilsport’s itineraries normally provide 3 dive sites per day, with the opportunity for relaxed or unlimited diving. At sites like Challenger Bay some photographers do 2 hour dives to capture special fish behavior photographs.
One of the Great Barrier Reefs most amazing phenomenon awaits you at Cod Hole. Swim with small diver-size or giant fish-size potato cod. Spend the dive among shallow sunlit coral gardens of acropora coral, or venture deeper into the parallel gullies that form the front of the reef, where huge Queensland groupers face into the current.
At Lizard Island, you will walk in Captain Cook’s footsteps. The famous English navigator climbed Lizard Island in 1770 to find the way out of the labyrinth of reefs. Naturalist Joseph Banks lamented in his journal that he had too little time to study the wealth of strange creatures he saw in the waters of the Great Barrier Reef.
Imagine, early morning dives on sheer walls that plummet to 3,200 feet (1,000 meters). Glide past huge black coral trees, diver-size soft coral trees, and golden gorgonian fans. Observe or be observed by curious sharks cruising in the clear water.
And to end your adventure, take to the skies and enjoy a 150-mile low-altitude flight over Endeavour Reef, where Captain Cook ran aground. See the Emily Wreck and the reefs along the continental shelf you dived in from Spoilsport. You will be provided with detailed flight maps so you can anticipate the low altitude pass.
- Boat ride and accommodation (twin or double cabin)
- Daily cabin service
- Meals and snacks
- Complimentary soft drinks and Australian wines with dinner
- Complimentary Reef Ecology Program
- Dry towel after each dive
- 2 large inflatables for personalized dive service
What's Not Included
- Course charges
- Rental equipment
- Underwater photography and video services
- Nitrox fills
- Personal dive guide
- Reef tax
- PADI instruction: Advanced, Nitrox, Naturalist, and Photo/Video
Embark: Thursday at 18:00 from Trinity Wharf, Cairns.
Know Before You Go
• To ensure your needs are met, on arrival the ‘trip director’ will give you a private consultation. In between dives you can enjoy Spoilsports luxurious motor yacht atmosphere and attentive crew
• Please note that this tour is unsuitable for snorkelers
• Vessel dimensions: Length 100-foot (30 meters); Beam 36-foot (10 meters); Speed 15 knots
• Passenger average 20 (max 28); Crew 11
• Twin hulls reduce seasickness and maximize stability, space and privacy
• Twin or double cabins, most with ocean views
• Spacious dining room; lounge; alfresco deck and sundeck