Explore the traditional ingredients of Hungarian cuisine and enjoy a cultural experience tasting typical foods and wines. Your local guide will introduce you to the everyday life of Hungarian people through some of Budapest's best kept secrets.
What to Expect
Exploring Budapest through its food and drinks is the best way to do it. Your food, wine and cultural walking tour begins at the Central Market Hall - one of Europe’s largest and most spectacular indoor markets - and continues through the charming nearby neighbourhood. Be sure to come with an appetite. You will need it on this tour.
At the Central Market Hall, you will begin getting acquainted with Hungarian cuisine through the great variety and abundance of ingredients (mostly local and seasonal) on display. You will get to discuss the history of the building, the culture of eating and drinking in Hungary and the everyday cooking and eating habits. The tour also includes an introduction to the Hungarian paprika and reveal why it is so special, how Hungarian cooks use it and how it is produced. After tasting a few carefully selected food products at the market, you will head out to the surrounding neighbourhood and visit a few more places. Lunch will be at a traditional restaurant where you will taste a special Hungarian spirit as well. No day in Budapest is complete without dessert, so you will also stop at a cafe visited only by locals to taste some special local dumplings.
The tour will end with a tasting of three quintessential Hungarian wines. During the tasting, your guide will introduce you to the Hungarian wine regions, varietals and styles. This tour will give you a taste of the traditional side of Hungarian cuisine, as well as the modern artisan producers and specialty food shops of the area.
- English-speaking guide
- Generous food and wine tasting
What's Not Included
- Entrance fees
- Transport to/ from the meeting point
- Gratuities/ tips
Know Before You Go
• Best efforts will be made to cater to dietary requirements but due to local food customs, a guarantee is not possible in all cases
• Vegetarian options available
• Guests with allergies or religious dietary restrictions may be very limited
• Minimum number of 2 guests apply
• Guests under 18 are not allowed to consume alcoholic beverages and will be served soft drinks
• Tours run in all weather conditions, so please dress appropriately. Supplier not responsible for unforeseen delays or accidents
• Participants will need to be fit for light continuous walking for up to 3-hours
• Comfortable shoes are recommended