Budapest Caves Underground Caving TourProduct ID: 65806
From $39 per personBook now
- Crawl through the Pál-völgyi-Mátyás-hegyi cave system under Budapest
- Experience the longest natural cave beneath the streets of Budapest
- Learn the geological history of the caves, formed by thermal springs
- Discover the biodiversity of the Danube-Ipoly National Park
- Scramble over rocks and through narrow passageways
Famous for its hot springs, Budapest is visited by many people who want to experience the thermal baths. But only a few know that the hot water rushing up from deep underground created something even more extraordinary.
In the limestone mountains under Budapest, the heated water formed a huge cave system that is thought to be more than 100 kilometers long. The longest cave of Budapest is the 20.1-kilometer long Pál-völgyi-Mátyás-hegyi cave system in the Duna-Ipoly National Park (Danube-Ipoly National Park). It’s a multi-level labyrinth system where most of the chambers lie under the residential districts of Budapest.
The scheduled cave tours are guided by qualified caving guides. During the adventure, you will climb on walls and crawl through narrow passages. Marvel at the natural parts of the cave under the supervision of a professional caving guide (all guides are qualified members of the Hungarian Caving Association).
- Cave entry fee
- Caving guide
- Helmet and lamp
- Protective overalls
Meet at the Nyugati ter bus station (no. 26 bus stop), located next to the parking lot in front of Westend Shopping Center and next to Nyugati Railway Station. From February 1, 2017: at the Pal-volgyi Caves - 1025 Budapest, Szépvölgyi str 162. Directions from the city center by public transport: catch bus numberr. 9 towards 'Óbuda, Bogdáni út'. You then need to get off the bus at Kolosy Square. From Kolosy Square you should catch bus number.65 or 65A. Get off at 'Pál-völgyi cseppkőbarlang', 5 stops from Kolosy Square. Please note that buses only stop if someone gets off the vehicle: you can ask the bus driver to remind you when you reach your destination. The travel time from the center to the caves is about 45 minutes by public transport. (Open in Google Maps)
• Guests must sign a waiver form to participate on this tour
• The tour operator is not responsible for accidents on the tour
• Tour guides are qualified members of the Hungarian caving association
• You must be physically fit enough to climb and crawl for 2 hours
Product ID: 65806