This is a small group full-day tour from Bucharest to North Bulgaria. You will cross the border into Bulgaria over the Danube River, the second largest river in Europe.
What to Expect
After 1 hour driving from Bucharest you will cross the border to Bulgaria over Danube river, the second largest river in Europe and then stop at Ivanovo to visit Ivanovo Churches (UNESCO heritage since 1979). Located in the Valley of the Rusenski Lom River, the rock-hewn churches are famous thanks to their impressive XIII-XIVth century frescos.
The second stop will be in Veliko Tarnovo, one of the most beautiful cities in Bulgaria, located on the banks of Yantra River. Also known as the City of Tsars, Veliko boasts an impressive fortress with the ruins of the former Tsarevets Palace and the patriarchal church, nowdays with modern and intriguing paintings. The medieval atmosphere is well kept in the city thanks to the old architecture and the narrow streets where you can admire local craftsmen and their work.
There are plenty of good restaurants in Veliko Tarnovo and it will be chosen one to enjoy the tasty Bulgarian food together with one of their fine wines.
The Village of Arbanassi is the next place you will visit, being located very close to the city. Arbanassi is a quiet and picturesque village which even today keeps the medieval touch through the old architecture.
The tour ends after returning to Bucharest.
- Transportation by car/minibus
- English speaking-guide
- Entrance fees
What's Not Included
- Lunch (approximately EUR 10 per person)
Romanian Athenaeum (1- 3 Franklin Street, Sector 1, Bucharest, Revolution Square), in front of the little garden
Know Before You Go
• This tour is not suitable for families with children under 7
• This tour is not suitable for people with walking disabilities (involves lots of walking and climbing stairs)
• By taking this tour, please remember that you are leaving Romania and entering Bulgaria
• Please ensure that your Visa requirements are in order and it is essential that you carry your passport (or ID card for citizens of EU states)
• In the cold season, when Ivanovo Churches are closed, you will be visiting either the Roman ruins from Nicopolis Ad Istrum or the Basarbovski Rock Monastery.