The tour starts from IC Bratianu Avenue, Intercontinental Hotel area, near the Coltea Hospital. This is the oldest hospital in town, dating back to 1704. The next stop is Lipscani Street, the most famous commercial street in the old city. At the beginning of the 15th century, most of the merchants and craftsmen including Romanians, Greeks, Bulgarians, Armenians, and Jews established their stores and shops on this street. The name Lipscani is related to the famous German trade held on Lipscaor Leipzig, where the merchants from Romania went at least twice a year. The French Street, where The Old Princely Court is located, was Bucharest's first fully paved street.
The Old Princely Court and Church were built during the reign of Prince Vlad Tepes, whose cruel manner of punishing his enemies got him the nickname Tepes - The Impaler. Centuries later, the Romanian Prince and his nickname became famous when Bram Stocker's novel Dracula became a bestseller. Close to the Old Princely Court, there is the oldest Church in town, St Anthony Church. Other sites worth visiting in this area are Manuc's Inn (1808), Selari and Smardan streets, Stavropoleos Church (1724), and Caru cu Bere (beer pub and restaurant dating back to 1879), St Nicholas Church, which hosts an icon with healing powers, The National History Museum, the National Savings Bank, Capsas Restaurant, Cismigiu Graden, Revolution Square, and the Italian Church (1916).
Along the centuries, Vlad Tepes's fortress was rebuilt and reshaped by several Romanian princes. As if under a curse, the court was severely damaged by natural catastrophes including earthquakes and fires. The palace was auctioned off to local merchants at the end of the 18th century. All you can see today are the walls, arches, tombstones, and a Corinthian column.
In 1972, when archaeological digs revealed the remains of the fortress, it was established as the Old Court Museum. Here they also discovered the oldest document attesting the city's origin under the name of Bucharest. The document was issued and signed by Prince Vlad Tepes on 20th of September 1459. Close by, visitors can see the Old Court Church dating back to 1559 and considered the oldest in Bucharest. The church served for two centuries as a coronation church for Romanian princes. Some of the original XVIth century frescoes have been preserved.