Discover the best of Bucharest on a 6-hour sightseeing tour, and explore more than 500 years of history at a variety of sights, including Baroque and Art Deco architecture, the vast Palace of Parliament, and the rural buildings of the Village Museum.
What to Expect
Following a hotel pick-up by air-conditioned vehicle, take a half-day tour of Bucharest’s highlights, with free time for lunch, or a pre-arranged meal at the Caru Cu Bere beer house on request.
During the tour, you will go to the Palace of the Parliament to see the 2nd largest building in the world after the Pentagon. Built, but never finished, for the former Romanian dictator Nicolae Ceauşescu, the multi-purpose building contains both chambers of the Romanian Parliament and features 1,100 rooms across 12 stories, with 4 underground levels.
Visit Revolution Square (Piața Palatului) to discover the site of the last speech Ceauşescu made to try to stop the Romanian Revolution of 1989. Explore the Cotroceni neighborhood, home to some of Romania’s most influential and wealthiest residents, and admire recreations of traditional Romanian households at the open-air Village Museum.
Once nicknamed “Little Paris,” today Bucharest is a city of contrasts. 45 years of Communist rule changed the city dramatically, but traces of the old, bohemian times can still be found, especially in the French architecture of the residential districts.
You will also admire the 400-year-old Patriarchal Church, including a great fresco of Judgment Day on its front wall. Learn about the legend of Prince Vlad the Impaler (better known as Dracula) at the 15th-century Old Princely Court, and discover the mercantile architecture and guild houses of the nearby Lipscani district.
- Transportation by air-conditioned car, including all gasoline and parking fees
- Entrance fees to sights included in the itinerary
- Private English-speaking guide/driver, at your disposal throughout the trip
- Guide’s expenses
What's Not Included
- Meals other than those included in the program
- Personal travel insurance
- Photo camera and video fees
Know Before You Go
• Free time for lunch is included, or the guide can arrange a great meal at Caru Cu Bere (The Beer Wagon), a 300-year-old beer house in the heart of city, and by far the best restaurant in town