4. Bruges: City Sightseeing Self-Guided Audio Walking Tour
Bruges’s city plan hasn’t changed since the middle ages. On this walking tour, you’ll get to peek behind the curtain of history to see what life was like back then, on a journey through time. You’ll have the opportunity to immerse yourself in medieval Bruges where, through stories and quirky facts, you’ll get an understanding of what this city once was, and still is, all about.
You’ll visit all the main sites and lesser known ones too. You’ll venture into little alleys, squares, inner courtyards and secret inner gardens that most visitors don’t see. By the end of the tour, you’ll know:
• Why pigs were banned from the streets in the middle ages and Bruges still keeps swans in its canals
• The barbershop symbol’s connection to a medieval hospital
• Exactly where within the city you were considered safe from the law
• Why Bruges’s citizens are called “the fools”
• How a heroic blind donkey got a street named after him
• The reason sightings of witches and angels could have been real
• Why urine was traded in one tiny square, and where sayings like “piss-poor” originate from
I’m a traveler and I started Legends Tours with a friend after years of taking tours and realising that I only remember the quirky, interesting facts along the way. Legends Tours brings history to life through entertaining stories, so after this tour you’ll be sure to have plenty of fun facts to share with others.
This tour suits first time travelers, Bruges locals, folks interested in history, and even quickly bored kids. Allow at least 90 minutes for the tour but feel free to take your time, linger in some of the bars and restaurants en route, and take as many photos as you desire.