Big Island: Kona Sunset Helicopter Experience
- See the Kona and Kohala coasts
- Witness Kohala Mountain and its valleys
- Encounter numerous waterfalls
- View Mauna Loa, the world's largest volcano
- Experience a Hawaiian sunset from the skies
With the sun now behind the mountain, you’ll be able to better spot the glowing lava, as well as the magma lake within Halema‘uma‘u Crater. You’ll see the Punalu‘u black sand beach and Papakōlea green sand beach, two of the most strikingly beautiful and exotic beaches in the world. You will also pass over Pu‘uhonua ‘o Hōnaunau, a place of refuge under ancient Hawaiian law, and Kealakekua Bay where Capt. James Cook first came ashore in the 1700s.
This is truly one of nature’s best shows. The sky will turn shades of bright yellow, deep orange, burning red and, occasionally, brilliant purple. The photos you’ve seen will pale in comparison with the real thing, and you’ll understand why even locals pause what they’re doing and turn to the western skies most evenings. If you’re lucky, you’ll see a green flash on the horizon as the sun slips down below. Don’t forget to turn around, as the last rays of light illuminate the clouds behind you. Before dark, the colors will fade to delicate pastel hues, a gentle postscript for nature’s masterwork.
- Approximately 2.25-hours' total air tour flight time in Bell 407 helicopter
- Two-way communication between you, your pilot, and your group
- Ground transportation (available to and from the Kona Airport between Keauhou and North Kohala)
Prepare for the activity
• You must show photo ID at check-in
• If you or anyone in your party require assistance getting in or out of the aircraft you must contact the local partner. Participants must take at least 3 steps up a step ladder
• Accurate weights at the time of booking are essential to ensure comfort and safety of all guests (as a result, significant differences between passenger weights given at booking and scaled passenger weights at check-in can cause flight delays and will result in additional fees or cancellation at full cost)
• All passengers are required to be weighed at check-in
• Helicopter holds 5 passengers; larger groups may be separated
• Due to the current social distancing requirements for the state of Hawai'i, this will only be offered as a private tour.