Bergamo: Private Upper Town Walking Tour w/ a Guide
- Walk by the particular Rocca Castle, begun in 1331 by William of Castelbarco, vicar of John of Bohemia, and later completed by Azzone Visconti
- See the beautiful Piazza Vecchia (old square), the heart of the Upper Town
- Walk to the Piazza Duomo to admire the majestic and unique Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore, a jewel of Romanesque art
- Be fascinated by the the timeless charm of the Cittadella built by the Visconti family in the mid-14th century
The walk will continue towards Piazza Vecchia, the heart of the Upper Town, surrounded by ancient communal palaces and the imposing civic tower. Once you enter Piazza Duomo, you'll be fascinated by the majestic and unique Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore, a real jewel of Romanesque art. There, you'll also see the cathedral, the Baptistery and the Colleoni Chapel, an outstanding Renaissance building. Walk along Via Corsarola, the main street of the Upper Town, and enjoy the lively atmosphere created by the old and modern shops, restaurants and coffee houses.
To end the tour, your guide will take you to see the Cittadella, built by the Visconti family back in the 14th-century. Admire its timeless charm, while you notice the important museums all around you, until you arrive to the Colle Aperto. Just one tip: you might want to bring your camera along.
- Tour led by an expert local guide
- Food and drinks
- Entrance ticket to the Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore (€4 per person)
Prepare for the activity
• The tour will take place even when it's raining. In the event of an exceptionally heavy rain, the tour may be cancelled and you will be given a full refund