Explore the lesser known ramparts of the Mutianyu Great Wall of China and learn about Chinese civilization up close on a 7.5-hour tour from Beijing. Visit the new Schoolhouse, a sustainable tourism initiative, to sample a great lunch at The Canteen.
What to Expect
See one of the greatest feats of manmade engineering up-close on a full-day tour of the less crowded Mutianyu Great Wall of China.
Representing the embodiment of China’s ancient civilization, and the harbinger of the nation as a giant of world culture, the Great Wall was erected to defend the northern borders of the Chinese Empire. At its peak, it was guarded by more than 1 million men and wound its way across deserts, mountains, and plateaus for 5,500 miles (8,850 kilometers).
The well-preserved Mutianyu section is a 1-hour drive from central Beijing, and on arrival you will follow in history's footsteps to hike the historic ramparts. Snake your way through spectacular scenery, passing a dozen watchtowers that kept guard in all directions.
Stop for lunch at the Schoolhouse, run by people committed to sustainable tourism, country cooking, and great weekend getaways. Check out the amazing glass blowing studio, and then tuck into some delicious food at The Canteen.
En route back to downtown Beijing, stop for a close-up view of the Bird's Nest (National Stadium), built for the 2008 Summer Olympics. Take some souvenir shots of its dynamic steel web structure before your hotel drop off.
- Hotel pick-up and drop off
- Food as indicated in the itinerary
- English-speaking guide
- Entrance fees as indicated in the itinerary
- Parking and toll fees where applicable
What's Not Included
- Tips and personal expenses
- Services not mentioned in the itinerary
- Travel insurance
Cancel up to 1 day in advance for a full refund
Know Before You Go
• The itinerary and schedule are for reference only and may vary according to your travel date and group size. The Itinerary and schedule are subject to change at the time of booking confirmation