An exclusive off-road tour of Salisbury Plain for up to 6 guests. Join this luxury Land Rover Defender tour to explore deep history, breathtaking views and unique wildlife made possible in the UK's largest military training ground.
What to Expect
Beginning from the chosen collection point, the group will make its way to Salisbury Plain, the largest training area in the UK for Britain's armed forces and steeped in history. Upon joining the tour route (which can change due to military activity), the vehicle will begin to make its way around a circuit of the military firing range, stopping for photo opportunities and chances to explore the local flora and fauna en route.
Depending on access, you will either cross the downland, taking in sites such as Casterley Camp, a neolithic causewayed enclosure, Copehill Down military camp or take a trip through the firing ranges themselves, looking at the craters and shattered hulks that are used for target practice on the plain. During the tour, you will have spectacular views across Pewsey Vale seeing the White Horse at Westbury, Devises and Alton Barnes before descending from a height of 221m to the valley floor and hearing the story of the Robbers' Stone.
A short road journey takes you to the villages of Chittern and Tilshead before heading across country to Parsonage Down nature reserve. it is here in a secluded little known corner of Wiltshire that the tour stops for tea and biscuits, listening to the birdsong and perhaps the thrum of an Apache helicopter. The vehicle embarks once more for a short but off-road trip past Yarnbury Castle (actually an Iron Age hill fort) before returning to the collection point via Stonehenge and the historic town of Larkhill, the birthplace of the RAF and current home to the Royal Artillery.
During the tour, it is encouraged to get out and explore, discover unique plants and listen to the innumerable species of birds that live in this secluded part of Wiltshire.
- Transportation to/ from pick-up point
- 2-hour off-road tour (routes can change due to military activity)
- Tea/ coffee and biscuits
- An experienced tour guide
What's Not Included
- Collection from other points such as Salisbury city center, although this is possible for an additional fee
Know Before You Go
• Due to its off-road nature, those suffering from mobility issues or lower back pain may enjoy the tour less. Please get in touch to discuss your requirements before booking
• Please make known any dietary requirements prior to the tour
• Wear sensible outdoor clothing, including waterproof footwear/ jackets